Will my 5510L Jetpack ever have useable 4 G connection ?
bubba9459
Contributor - Level 1

I have two 4G devices on my plan, A Samsung ATIV phone, and the 5510

l Jetpack, and they are both worthless.  I'm trying to figure out why for $ 285 a month I can't even do basic things like check email.

Right now my 5510 Jetpack has a -96 dbm, In 4G only mode,   I've tried pulling the sim card, and resetting everything ( I do it everyday )   If I switch it to Auto, I am stuck in 3G all the time, I live in a residential neigborhood, less than a mile from a tower.

The phone is no better, 2 bars in 3G, Rarely shows LTE, if it does, its only 1 bar,  Can't call tech support, because I can't keep a call going long enough to get off hold.

Got rid of my land line, when I made the mistake of getting these.

Any suggestions ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will my 5510L Jetpack ever have useable 4 G connection ?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

Jumping into the fray a little late so I apologize if I missed something already tried. 

As I read through your posts it sounds like your MiFi 5510 is suffering from a physical performance problem and should be replaced under the warranty.  You seem fairly savvy in performing site surveys and have concluded for us that your poor performance is consistent from site to site in multiple locations.  VZW should be able to cover the replacement free of charge if you continue to work with a phone rep and you are under the 1 year warranty. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

I suggest you pull up the Verizon coverage map and look at your area on the 4G LTE map.   You can only get 4G coverage if the tower near you has 4G service.

Start here.... And put your zip code in.   You can zoom in on your neighborhood.   If you are in a 4G zone, and still not getting service, then talk to your local Verizon service center.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST&zip=06035&city=G...

0 Likes
bubba9459
Contributor - Level 1

Ok,   I tried that, It shows that I have 4G service, and the map is as accurate as Google earth, So it knows where I am.  but still the same problem,  right now, I have - 101dbm,   It took me almost 20 minutes to get the coverage locator to load.

Thanks for your help,   But I have No idea what my local Verizon service center would be ?       The Verizon company store ?   if so, They are NO help,    They only want to sell new stuff, just like they did 5 months ago, when I was so fed up with my 3G, and I was stupid enough to upgrade to the 4G that I'm stuck with now.

I guess, I could try calling tech support from a pay phone, but that seems pretty redundant.

Thanks

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, the maps are good.   We have to trust (gulp) Verizon that they are also accurate.  

May I suggest doing a search on a computer to see if the hot spot is in need of an update.   This can only be done if connected to a computer.

The 5510l is not a top of the line hot spot, but firmware update may improve its function.

May I ask, are you on a prepaid plan, or a share everything?     I decided not to switch to prepaid because it did not appear it offered 4G LTE, but that may just have been how I read the plan offered.  

I find it odd you get poor 3G service as well.   Unless you are in a dead zone, you should get minimum  service.   2G service will allow texting.    3G  should be adequate for a phone call.    That does make me think the phone is faulty or you are in an unmapped dead zone.   If you are in a dead zone, you will not be the only one effected.   If your home is in a valley it might account for it, but only while in that valley.

If none of these pan out, you should start making a stink.   Maybe the SIM card was provisioned wrong, you did say the local store is not "well staffed"?    Try to call support.  (Sorry, not trying to rub salt in it).  Keep drilling the discrepancy between the map and the lack of service.

Good luck!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bubba9459,

We certainly want you to be able to our 4G network. I am sorry to hear you are having so many issues connecting and even when making a phone call. What zip code are you located in? How long have you had this issue? Have your devices or SIM card ever been replaced?  Please try going into the admin page>Jetpack settings>advance>network ensure preferred network technology mode is on automatic (LTE/CDMA). Let us know if this helps.

KarenC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure you are able to get a good signal on that 5510L Jetpack, bubba9459. Does it work better in other locations in the house or even away from the home?
As lizdance mentioned, are you on a prepay or postpay account?
http://vz.to/1e06rYY

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bubba9459
Contributor - Level 1

Always about the same signal anywhere on my property, in house, in garage, on my deck, in the yard,   Anywhere from -94dbm   /  -102dbm,  

I've never tried it away from home, I didn't buy it to travel, I bought it to replace my landline connection, because when I was in the Verizon company store, It was working as fast as my landline, and I was assured by the sales rep, that it would stay that way, since my address was in a 4G LTE covered area.

" We " tried all the normal web pages I view on a daily basis, news, email, etc. It was all good.

I am in a 4G LTE coverage are according to the map,  I am not in a valley, under tree cover, etc,

This is a normal postpay account.

Thanks

0 Likes
bubba9459
Contributor - Level 1

I am in zip 45238,  I haven't been able to get a good 4G signal out of the Phone, or the jetpack since I purchased them in July ?  The poor call quality issue, has been there since I have been a Verizon customer.

I went to the Verizon store that day, because I was so tired of my two year old 3G phones poor performance, Same issues, poor call quality, little, or no data service.   I was told, that since my phones were so outdated, that was the problem, So I purchased a new phone, and decided to purchase the Jetpack, since it worked so great in the store.   Hoping to replace my landline, and combine bills.

The phone, or sim cards have never been replaced,  Can't get through to tech support via phone, I get placed on hold, and then the call gets dropped.   I would not even attempt to go to the store again.  ( Because I would get the same line, Your 6 month old phone is outdated,  You need a new phone ?)

The Jetpack is in Automatic,  which forces it into 3G more often than 4G,    Right now, I do have 4G (  2 bars, with -97dbm )

Phone has 1 bar LTE, switching back, and forth to 3G ( Don't know how to check signal on phone )

I get home from work at about 3pm,   from 3pm until after 6-7pm, the Jetpack is useless, after 7pm, it starts to get better, usually by midnight, I'm able to look at email, news websites, facebook, etc,   Slowly, 

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
bubba9459
Contributor - Level 1

I give up trying to use this, I'm stuck in 3G now @  -83dbm,   Not bad for a 3G signal,    But I am paying for 4G

I drove up to my local Mcdonalds, to use their free WiFi ( works great ) There is a cell tower in their parking lot by the way, So I checked the signal on my Jetpack,  -94dbm in 4G ( But that was under the tower )  Same story for the phone, 2 bars of LTE,     Is it a Verizon tower ?,    I don't know, and I don't really care, you share the network don't you ?

While I was on Mcdonalds free WiFi, and able to access the internet, I looked at Verizonwireless.com /    Something that is very hard for me to do from home ( Less than 1 mile away )

I looked at the 4G routers that are currently available ?

How about you trade out my 5510L Jetpack,  for a Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router, with the same contract,  And give me the Proband 46 Signal booster that is recommended for use with this router in low LTE signal areas ?

The 4G Broadband router coverage area map page, also says I'm in a covered area ?

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
bubba9459
Contributor - Level 1

Today, just to amuse myself, I took the jetpack 5510 with me on a roadtrip,   I took the I-275 loop around Cincinnati ( about a 40 mile trip ), I stopped  every 5 miles to check the signal,   I could never get better than - 96dbm while standing by the side of my car.

I also made a stop in Downtown Cincinnati,  - 102dbm,    On a Saturday, In the heart of the downtown business district,    I'm sure glad I was just checking the signal, and did not actually need to use it to do some work ?

So what is it ?      My device, my location,  a solar flare,  snow buildup on your tower,    did Zombies eat all the wires at Verizon HQ ?    

Or, is it the dreaded Network congestion ?   On a Saturday afternoon ?

I'm at a loss here ? 

From your website " The 4G Signal should be greater than -58dbm, a value of -96dbm indicates No signal. Move to another location , preferably an outdoor location. "

I have tried other locations, all over the city, Nothing,  

So, If I go to the Verizon store, and buy another new 4G Hotspot tomorrow,    Everything will be PERFECT ?   Right ?

Because that's what your salesperson will tell me ?

Please help me decide what to do, Because my bill is due soon, and I need to decide if I need to pay it ?

0 Likes