anyone using uml290 on a mac step in please
rutiger

if your uml290 is working on 3g & 4g with vzam can you tell me what model macbook you're using?  i have an old (second gen maybe) mbp and vzam in a 3g area connects every time and pretty darn quickly.  vpn works.  no issues.

with my newer unibody mb and mbp i'm finding connecting almost never works.  it sometimes connects, but refuses to get an address in 3g or 4g areas.  i plan to test my old mbp in a 4g area later today to see if it works well like in 3g areas.

trying to narrow down if it's a hardware issue or config issue.  my newer macs have fusion and other things installed that my old mbp (the wife's now) don't have.

thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: anyone using uml290 on a mac step in please
SSandy

I have a MacBook Pro purchased from Apple in March of 2009 (initial unibody MacBook).  Initially by UML290 only worked on 3G with the new Mac VZAccess (it had been working fine in 4G using the native network modem hack prior to the release of VZA). Then I read on this forum about having to reset some the internal items within the IML290 and having to update its firmware, all of which I did within a Windows version of VZA.  Now it works perfectly on 4G, 3G, and with my VPN under the Mac VZA.

Sandy 

0 Likes
rutiger

yeah i've done the card reset stuff.  still no luck on my mbp.  plan to test on two other generation mbp's this afternoon to see what happens.  in the same locations if i fire up windows in fusion it connects in 4g and 3g just fine.  so it's definitely a problem within osx for me.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

After you update it on Windows you need to reboot the machine. If it's in the virtual machine you need to reboot that. If it's Mac natively reboot that. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

0 Likes
rutiger

i've rebooted multiple times in windows and osx.  in windows the card works great in 3g & 4g areas and vpn works.  in osx it stinks.  i sat in a strong 4g area yesterday with three macs and found that 4g worked on 2 of the 3 macs, but with both once i connect to vpn all traffic is blackholed.  in a 3g area vpn works though.  no idea why that is.

sat on the phone vz for an hour and repeatedly answered questions like have i rebooted, am i in a high rise building, and what os am i using.  vz tech mentioned numerous times that mac support is brand new as if that's a plausible excuse.  vz had the choice to beta test the app before releasing it so i don't buy that excuse.

anyway, i'm now waiting for a call back from their network ops group which they said could take up to 72 hours.  i'm hoping this can get resolved because when i do connect on 4g the speed is fantastic.  yesterday i was seeing 30 down and 15 up using speedtest.net!

0 Likes
rutiger

so vz just left me a voicemail saying their lte is fine and it's apple's problem.  last time i buy anything from verizon. 

0 Likes
rutiger

discovered that the native mac vpn client is the issue as it uses esp for the tunnel.  apparently vz blocks this in their 4g network, but not 3g network.  using the cisco ipsec or anyconnect client works on 4g so at least i have a workaround.  no clue why vz blocks this in one network, but not another.

0 Likes
wldkatz03

I have a new MBP 17" with no issues at all with the uml290.  All I did from the beginning was download the updated vzw manager for MAC and off I went with great 4G coverage in Orange County...

0 Likes
rutiger

seeing it was a problem specifically with this mac i wiped it clean today, reinstalled the os, then restored a backup via time machine.  now it connects on 3g and i would assume 4g once i'm in a 4g area.  previously it wouldn't connect ever.  so perhaps i'm on the right track now.  still stink i have to use a different vpn client on 4g, but it's workable.

0 Likes