can't make/receive phone calls
wendyvzw
Enthusiast - Level 2

At home today, the 4g icon on my Samsung Galaxy is greyed out.  Attempts to make a phone call, it switches to 1x and nothing goes through.   If I turn off wi-fi, the 4g icon is lit, but still the same unsucessful outgoing call (1x).  Incoming goes right to voice mail so I'm told.

I've lived here 8 years and always had 4-5-bar stellar signal.   I have made no settings changes.  Reboot no help.  Not on airplane mode.

So I drove to the Verizon store for assistance (not sure why... they seem just sales focused these days...).  Halfway there I noticed the 4g icon became lit.  When I got to Verizon (10 minutes from my house), I could make outgoing calls just fine!!!  

Symptoms seem to point to cell tower outage, but none noted and a neighbor tells me her Verizon cell phone is just fine.

Started a support CHAT but it seemed to have ended prematurely (accidental on purpose????) My last two responses got "not delivered".   No further agent responses.

The robo-chat did get me to turn on wifi-calling.  That's a decent workaround for in the house, but not enough range obviously.  

ANy ideas what to try?

0 Likes
Re: can't make/receive phone calls
wendyvzw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Additional info:  the neighbor I share a wall with is also having similar troubles even though a neighbor 1 building away is not.   That triggerred WIFI related in my mind, so I reset my router.   I can now make outgoing calls.   (I turned off wifi-calling workaround to be sure).  

However, as I was trying to troubleshoot all this, I noticed in SIM Card status, the Voice Network Type is CDMA.   Shouldn't that be 4G/LTE?

ALso, the 4g icon on the phone stays greyed out (when wifi is On).  Is that normal?  I don't think so, but hard to turn back the clock and observe!   When I make a call, the 4g flips to 1x.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wendyczw, I know how immportant it is to have service and we appreciate the details and efforts you've shared. I am happy to help. To confirm, when did this begin? As your service improves in other areas, have you made any recent changes to your account or phones? -Lorenzo

0 Likes
wendyvzw
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem began on 8/11.   There had been no changes on my phone... no updates... no settings changes.. no new apps.     The only technical thing possibly noteworthy leading up to it was my wifi-router required a reset.  I am told that wifi signals cannot interfere with mobile network signals.

Could my SIM card be bad?  or phone need reprovisioning?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wendyvzw, thank you for those details. I can't see the Wi-Fi as to be the problem. What model Samsung Galaxy do you have? We need to narrow things down further before we are able to determine if this is a device issue or network issue. Is it safe to say you only have this trouble when you are at home? Also, since you reset the router you can make calls in your home just fine, correct? -Tionna

0 Likes
wendyvzw
Enthusiast - Level 2

The previous problem was eventually resolved but it is not clear how.  I even got a new SIM card from the store and many workarounds and fixes were attempted,  so not sure what step exactly resolved it.

But it just happened again now also from home.  So I turned on wifi-calling and made my call.  Then I turned it off and tried another call.   I was hoping that just that toggle may have had a positive effect.  It did!   But not at first.  First I got a question something like "if you are out of range of your mobile network, do you want to turn on wifi calling?"   I said no.  The call went thru.  I have 4/5 bars.  New calls go thru now without that question.

What is going on?   The phone is Samsung Galaxy S8 fully updated.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your troubleshooting efforts are greatly appreciated. What message do you get when you try to call or receive a call? How many signal bars did you have? ~Christian

0 Likes
wendyvzw
Enthusiast - Level 2

there is no message when I can't call.  The screen just says "Calling... Verizon Wireless" and nothing happens.   When I can't receive a call, how can I see a message?????   it goes to voice mail.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

With regard to your device and how it operates if you are not able to connect to a call something turning off the device and turning it on helps update it to the nearest tower. Also, turning the WiFi calling feature helps as well due to the device trying to place a call on a WiFi network that may not be strong enough to carry a phone call. -Jasper

0 Likes
wendyvzw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Huh?  I don't think you're following the discussion.    Why isn't the Verizon Mobile Network available to me ALL THE TIME when I have EXCELLENT signal?