keeping my unlimited data plan
frustrated_customer78
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been stuck with my phone for the past 3 years and in desperate need of a new one. How can I upgrade my phone without losing my unlimited data plan. I've spoken to several Verizon reps who tell me something different every time. I've also heard of several ways to upgrade without losing it. Why can't we just be grandfathered in like AT&T does? This issue is extremely frustrating.

Labels (1)
Re: keeping my unlimited data plan
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can retain your unlimited data by not signing a new two-year contract for a subsidized phone.  In other words, you'll need to pay full retail price, buy a used phone from somewhere like ebay or swappa, borrow a phone from a friend, add a line to get a subsidized phone (and then, of course, you'll be paying for that new line each month until its contract ends), or upgrade another line on the account (if one is available) and move the new phone to the unlimited line.

frustrated_customer78
Enthusiast - Level 1

I might just go that route. Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which route? There were several presented.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
twitterbird
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just upgraded my phone and was given unlimited calls and texts. Go to store or call Customer Service (866)266-1445. Good luck.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Congratulations on your new contract with unlimited calls and unlimited texts.  Let us know if you have any problems.  Good luck.

Doc

twitterbird
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you StreetDocRN for your reply and offer to help. One thing you might do for me is to tell me how to access the data usage function online. I cannot seem to find it nor is it available on my Jetpack. It says "not available.

Thanks for any help

StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Check out http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/mobl/features.faqs_faqs%7CMyVerizon%7Caccessing-my-verizon-mobi...

Once you install the My Verizon app, you can track your usage.

twitterbird
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your timely response regarding Jetpack usage analysis. This is much appreciated.

0 Likes
Not applicable

There is two ways to preserve unlimited data.

1) pay full price for the phone. You keep unlimited data.

2) use Verizon device payment plan. Pay the full price over 12 months. You must make the first payment and full tax with a $2 finance charge on day of device purchase. Then 11 payments with a $2 finance charge each month there after.

Please note in both cases don't let Verizon tell you that you lose unlimited data. You do not. Or that it is just for tablets. They will lie to you to get you off unlimited data.

Verizon Mobile Support

Verizon’s Device Payment Plan Can be Used as a Way to Keep Unlimited Data and Upgrade Phones | Droid...

This must be done at a Verizon wireless corporate store only. No resellers.

Good Luck