Re: need help setting up UML290 4g modem on SuSE Linux 11.3
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

For best performance make sure you boot into Windows or Mac and install the latest VZAccess. It will prompt you to update the firmware. Update it. Reboot. Run Win/Mac VZAccess again. Now all of the disconnects and everything else problem is gone. Reboot into Linux. You can now use it was a standard modem in LTE or 3G. Both LTE and 3G use the CID of 3 and the login is the same with the @vzw4g.com for LTE and @vzw3g.com for 3G. It should seamlessly switch. You can create two profiles like I do in Ubuntu.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Willzz99;  Well I guess that settles that....   If I could get it to work. -still trying.   I'll do some more tweeking & check back with you for details if I need to.    

I do remember that with the old USB760/3G  we had to initialize the modem in windows, re-start, and Ubuntu was fine.  I'll give it a fresh try.

It'll be nice when we can do it all without Bill Gates lurking over our shoulders though.          Thanks.

0 Likes
idee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neander,

Thanks, I'm glad to have it working myself!  Then when 4g comes my way it'll be even better.  Sorry, I haven't checked in here for a while.  First I'll answer your questions, then a warning.

1 - Yes, it is 3g only (see the notes in message #7)

2 & 3 - It will not switch back automatically.  You will need to use a windows box and the Pantech utility to change the settings back to default if/when you are in a 4g zone.  It is not a big deal, just look at the notes in #7 again.

On the initialization question, yes, you have to first start it up in a windows box, install VZA and connect.  Then reboot or move it to the Linux box.

Linux VZA - I spent some time on the phone with a Verizon level 3 (?) tech support and he mentioned that when it comes out it will be on the VZA site in the enterprise tab.  I will be keeping an eye on that and when it shows up, I'll post it.  I was surprised to see that my old modem UM175 was supported there.  So though it may be a while, that is good news.

Now for the bad news.  The reason I was on the phone with him was that I had just installed an update of both the VZA and firmware and it toasted my modem.  He confirmed exactly where and how via his diagnostics.  The solution was to go to my local Verizon corp. store and get both a new modem and sim card.  His advice is that this technology is so new, if it ain't broke, don't upgrade!  That firmware was to be pulled right away, but he still suggested ignoring any prompts for a while.

willzzz99:

You are able to get yours to switch automatically between 3g and 4g?  Great!  Maybe they corrected the firmware.  After being burnt (above) I think I'm waiting until 4g comes to KC before I try the firmware update.  I'll also be looking for the Linux VZA.  Perhaps the difference is in the Umbuntu (debian based distro) vs what I have in SuSE?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for  the update Idee.  I wasn't able to get it to work under Ubuntu (with Toughbooks  firmware upgrade) like Wilzzz says he did.  I got tired of trying. 3G is so slow where I am Igo into Atlanta just to get some serious work done.

Hopefully things will get better if/when the 4g gets expanded nationaly.

0 Likes
idee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neander,

Just as a last thought, is it still working in windoze?  If you ran the update and firmware it may have trashed your modem, which is why you can't connect.  Just a thought.  You might want to reset the Pantech tool back to the original settings.  I documented those in message #7, and then be sure it is still working in windoze.  If however that is how you are connecting to this forum, never mind.  Just a thought.  Good luck.  idee 

0 Likes
idee
Enthusiast - Level 3

We finally have 4g in Kansas City!  I have used the UML290 utility tool and switched the device back to the original settings.  I cannot connect at all to the 4g signal.  If I switch it back, I can still connect with 3g.

The string in process shows:

Modem intialized.

Sending: ATDT#777

Waiting for carrier.

ERROR

Invalid dial command.

Disconnecting

misc. stuff, then ...

Status is: disconnected

died: Connect script failed (exit code 😎

Is anyone able to get the UML290 to work in linux (openSuSE or other) as a 4g device? 

thanks for any help. 

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I don't know about the #777 etc..  I think you may just need to tweek the settings.

My settings under Ubuntu are

*99#   for Number

everything else is left blank except

APNvzwinternet

I have one setting where I used my account/phone number + @vzw4g.com as a Username

1234567890@vzw4g.com for example.   but it seems to work without it.  I think the modems have a built-in identification.

good luck

0 Likes