Configuring my NSA2600 firewall. What server settings to use for my WAN?
Hellreaver
Enthusiast - Level 1

Configuring my NSA2600 for the first time . I have a 4G LTE modem for home internet. 

What type of IP assignment does Verizon use? 

Here are the listed options: 

Static

DHCP

PPPoE

PPTP

L2TP

I'm pretty new to firewalls, but from what I understand: 

If Verizon uses Static IPs, I'd need either a single IP or a range that I could set in my firewall, along with the DNS servers VZW uses.

If Verizon uses DHCP, I'd need to know the hostname  of the DHCP server and I might need to get authorization  from verizon to use that device/MAC address on the DHCP.

If it's PPPoE, PPTP or L2TP, from what I understand i'd need to get a username/password from VZW and use that. 

Regardless of which system they use, who would I contact to get my required info? The guy I talked to at tech support was incredibly nice and helped me with another issue, but couldn't provide any of the info I need here. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Configuring my NSA2600 firewall. What server settings to use for my WAN?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

LTE Home Internet uses DHCP, since your modem will need to be put into IP Passthrough mode in order to get the public IP sent to your SonicWALL. Verizon doesn't use any special DHCP server settings, since it's meant to be a consumer network service.

In IP Passthrough mode, your DHCP Server's IP will be dynamic, and the hostname will resemble something like <last-octet>-<ip-address-subnet->.myvzw.com. The DHCP server will actually be a secondary IP obtained by your LTE modem. So if your SonicWALL gets an IP of 10.1.2.3 from Verizon, the modem/DHCP server will be 10.1.2.4.

View solution in original post

Re: Configuring my NSA2600 firewall. What server settings to use for my WAN?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

LTE Home Internet uses DHCP, since your modem will need to be put into IP Passthrough mode in order to get the public IP sent to your SonicWALL. Verizon doesn't use any special DHCP server settings, since it's meant to be a consumer network service.

In IP Passthrough mode, your DHCP Server's IP will be dynamic, and the hostname will resemble something like <last-octet>-<ip-address-subnet->.myvzw.com. The DHCP server will actually be a secondary IP obtained by your LTE modem. So if your SonicWALL gets an IP of 10.1.2.3 from Verizon, the modem/DHCP server will be 10.1.2.4.