Verizon 5G Home internet
Zomen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, if you are on this forum looking to understand other Verizon customers and their experience with 5G home internet, its very simple.... STAY AWAY, STAY FAR, FAR AWAY. You will not get your dollar's worth. Their customer service team is only capable of telling you to restart the router but no further troubleshooting past that.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I consistently receive 0.09 mbps upload speed. To put it into context, this means my smart TV cannot stream, my PC cannot make video calls and my verizon cell phone when connected to Verizon's wifi notifies me that due to poor connection, it can't check my voicemail.

Think about that... Verizon 5G internet is so slow, not even a Verizon cellphone can utilize the signal to access voicemail... I have now switch to Xfinity and will be cancelling my 5g home internet once the new Xfinity router arrives. I'd love to hear about everyone's experience. Any thoughts?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon 5G Home internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 5G service is all area dependent. If your area has poor signal or is already badly congested, the performance won't be much better than a cell phone on Verizon placed in the same location. Home Internet is de-prioritized the last I checked.

As for experience? I can only speak on behalf of helping a friend of mine with the 5G Home service. Their service works mostly well, but it's not been without hiccups. The performance they see is 300Mbps down, 20Mbps up, and they're situated about 2,000-3,000ft from the tower. They have the C-Band (not mmWave) service due to mmWave not being available in their area. The jitter and latency on the 5G Home is worse than what they were getting on Spectrum. From time to time, they also see issues with their connection grinding down to 1Mbps down, 1Mbps up, with 1,600ms latency, until the C-Band modem is rebooted, or unless they wait somewhere between a few minutes, to several hours, for the connection to correct itself. It has nothing to do with the usage on their network, rather just pure randomness. Their IP address also changes on a daily basis, and that messes with their ability to stream TV.

It works well enough for a $25/m Internet connection, but it's not quite there yet. My friend only switched because they needed to save a bit of money due to how high Spectrum's rack rates have gotten. Hopefully once 5G SA is more widespread and the 5G Home service no longer needs to maintain 4G fallback, the service will be more stable.

View solution in original post

Re: Verizon 5G Home internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 5G service is all area dependent. If your area has poor signal or is already badly congested, the performance won't be much better than a cell phone on Verizon placed in the same location. Home Internet is de-prioritized the last I checked.

As for experience? I can only speak on behalf of helping a friend of mine with the 5G Home service. Their service works mostly well, but it's not been without hiccups. The performance they see is 300Mbps down, 20Mbps up, and they're situated about 2,000-3,000ft from the tower. They have the C-Band (not mmWave) service due to mmWave not being available in their area. The jitter and latency on the 5G Home is worse than what they were getting on Spectrum. From time to time, they also see issues with their connection grinding down to 1Mbps down, 1Mbps up, with 1,600ms latency, until the C-Band modem is rebooted, or unless they wait somewhere between a few minutes, to several hours, for the connection to correct itself. It has nothing to do with the usage on their network, rather just pure randomness. Their IP address also changes on a daily basis, and that messes with their ability to stream TV.

It works well enough for a $25/m Internet connection, but it's not quite there yet. My friend only switched because they needed to save a bit of money due to how high Spectrum's rack rates have gotten. Hopefully once 5G SA is more widespread and the 5G Home service no longer needs to maintain 4G fallback, the service will be more stable.