5G Home Internet Review and Experience
rensinkjulie24
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are on the fence about getting 5G Home Internet through Verizon.. DO NOT DO IT. This has been by far the worst experience I have had with a big name company. It is to the point where this experience is making me seriously think about switching to AT&T or another provider. 

I have Verizon for my cellular and had a door to door salesman knock on my door to sell me the new 5G home internet service. I am outside of Atlanta by the way. He mislead me on so many things that I will probably never trust a salesman ever again. I was told that if I did not like the service within 14 days then no problem, I can return the service at no charge. After 14 days, if I cancel then my bill will be prorated. He also blew smoke up my butt and told me what I wanted to hear regarding the service just to get me to sign up. Verizon needs to train their salesmen better, since I feel as if I was mislead and lied too from the beginning. 

The service was not better than my previous internet provider's. It came with a big bulky white router that had to be installed on my bedroom window. I would be unable to open my window or properly shut my blinds. The router did not even extend to my apartment's balcony. My apartment is only 800 sq-ft. I can not imagine how this works in a house with out signal extenders. In regards to speed - I personally didn't notice a different in download/upload since I mainly use internet for surfing, work and streaming. But the speeds were fast when I did the online speed check. In my area there was only one useable node for my internet connection. I requested a cancellation after 3 days of having this service and a technician came to my house 2 days later to remove the equipment. 

I figured this was a done deal until my next month's bill came. They were still charging me for the full internet service. I spent a total of 10 hours on the chat, phone, and hold trying to get this fixed. Every customer service representative I spoke to kept passing me off to another department. Apparently when I called to have the equipment uninstalled, the person on the phone set up my appointment but did not cancel the phone line/service the 5G Home Internet was set up under. It got so bad that I eventually DM'd Verizon on Twitter. Finally the woman I messaged on there was able to help me. The next day my internet on my phone was affected. Since I was traveling on a work trip I was unable to use any GPS on my phone early which only added more stress. 

Finally, today was my last straw. I got an email saying I would be charged $720 for the equipment since I did not return it. Absolutely ridiculous when Verizon technicians came, uninstalled the equipment, and took it with them. 

So long story short this new service is just not worth all the hassle, and I wish I had seen someone's honest review on it before I tried it out (which honest reviews were hard to find when I originally searched - I suggest reddit). Salesmen lie, speeds are fast, range is short, you can not use your own router, customer service personnel were pleasant to speak to, but it took a long time for me to finally find someone to actually help and they were on twitter lol. Its always easier for companies to take your money instead of returning it. 

Re: 5G Home Internet Review and Experience
steellz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wish i had seen this before i started having problems, currently on the phone for over an hour now, i have NO signal, i was transferred off twice now, every person i talk to puts me on hold to get advice from someone else, and when i asked if i can just talk to someone who knows what their doing i was straight up told no... i fear i will have the same experience as you, 

Now they want to send a tech out to my home. for no reason i can think of, either the equipment is faulty or i was sold a lie.

Every person I've talked to doesn't seem to know what their doing...ive been with Verizon 10 years....

rensinkjulie24
Enthusiast - Level 1

YUP. That is exactly what they would tell me after transferring me multiple times/keeping me on hold. My issues (finger's crossed) should be wrapped up now - but I still had to spend another hour on the phone with them. 

If you do decide to cancel the internet - make sure they cancel the phone line and the tech returns the equipment. And get everything in a confirmation email so there is a record. I had one rep say they could not send me a confirmation email since it was not formal, but had another one send me a "Request" email confirming details so I would have it in writing. 

Seems like there is a lot of new hires or the training has slipped through the cracks. 

steellz
Enthusiast - Level 1

A tech came out today. with-in 5mins he was done, signal is not good enough for my apt, he took the equipment with him, told me since it was not fully activated i will not be billed, it will be as if i never got it to began with...

Only time will tell, in the meantime ill keep an eye on my bill to see any unknown spikes.

Welp glad that's over with. 

travistomp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was duped into signing up for this as well. "Super fast" ultra wideband 5G home internet. As I was checking out they upsold me the Verizon Stream Box. The Verizon Stream Box does not work with the 5G home internet service as it is too slow for the stream box. On my phone, none of the apps have internet access when connected to the 5G home internet. In order to use online banking I must disconnect from the 5G home internet and use regular 4G mobile data to see my online banking. They sell you services that do not work, then upsell you other things that are expected to work on that service and do not. It's pathetic and sad that Verizon is out there selling this stuff to people when it actually doesn't work. I spent over 8 hours talking to support to get this resolved with no resolution, they are not even capable of connecting to the modem to diagnose any issues. Verizon is overreaching in signing people up for services they are incapable of supporting. I live in the middle of Las Vegas and their 5G home internet does not work here yet they sold it to me along with a Stream Box that requires better speeds than that Verizon 5G home internet offers. I am extremely appalled by this entire experience. It is enough to make me port my number to T-Mobile.

littlesigh
Enthusiast - Level 1

@rensinkjulie24   100% agree. DONOT GET 5G Home Internet. While not quite as bad as you, my experience with this 5G UWB Home internet has been a total downer. I have only had the system for just over a month. The first two weeks it worked great! Much better than COX (cox su$%). I had 80-100+mbs. Then something happened, speeds routinely 20-30mbps and occassionally 5. I eventually had a ticket opened which after a a week said "we are working the issue and will let you know" HA! In other words... F'off. I kept a positive attitude as I was getting good enough to stream and download....30mbps.  However many days it was just worse. I went through 4 calls lasting 30minutes to 1.5 hours. The last guy suggested I swap devices. Said some of the devices have issues... so ..ok.. a warranty replacement. Then I get a message from about my ticket being resolved. Link took me to a Verizon webpage that said basically... su%$ it up. Bottomline is this company, like you indicated, blows smoke up your arz to get you to agree. I was told it would be 5G all the way.."don't worry" ... but the fine print now says ...yeah you may only get UPTO 70Mbps... unto! means 5 Mbps is ok with us!  I am seriously thinking of going back to COX. I would dump all my verizon phones but not sure any other service would be as good. 

Frustrated, angry and regretting my choice. Just another ant to be smashed by big corp. 

#5G #HomeInternet #gateway 

sgtempe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hope you don't try to go with T-Mobile. I got lured into trying out their service a year ago. The whole set up time in the store was agonizingly long and complicated and required handing them my cc 5 or 6 times and having the sales person talking to numerous different people. We were promised a delivery date that never materialized; given a status link to check on progress that never worked. I finally returned all the equipment that had been given us straight away in the store; then 6 weeks later got charged for service for 2 months that we never had and was told that I hadn't requested the service be turned off when, in fact, I had never had it to begin with. I got nowhere with customer service. I finally had to send certified letters to 6 executives before it was resolved. I still didn't get my refund for a couple of months. Sounds like over selling and over promising is endemic to this industry. 

OneTimeUser1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a similar experience. Where I would get 80-100 gb/s on AT&T fiber I'd get 40-60 gb/s on 5g, and I'd have an internet interruption maybe once every 3 days. Ended up cancelling after the trial period but instead of a tech coming out to remove the modem/receiver I was told I would be mailed a shipping kit to return it through UPS. When that didn't show up I tried returning it to the store but they said they didn't take them and now I have Verizon saying they'd charge me $720 if I didn't return it. I'm supposed to get a prepaid shipping label in the mail after 3 attempts at contacting customer service.

Will definitely take photos of my label, packaged box, and shipping confirmation if Verizon tries to say they didn't get it back.

0 Likes
GabbyMayR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact thing is happening to me. Door to door salesman fully lied about the service and speed, etc. Had it uninstalled and picked up before the free trial ended and they were still trying to charge me. After speaking with 5 different agents about this, one agent told me it was all resolved, they wouldn't try to charge me again, won't send anymore bills via mail, etc. I just got more mail from them about my "late bill" when this was "resolved" over 2 weeks ago. Now I'm getting emails about returning the router or I'll owe 720 dollars when it was picked up 3 months ago. Additionally, they somehow messed up the phone number on my account (have no idea whose number it is, certainly not anyone I know) so everytime i spoke to someone it was a BIG hassle because "I wasn't the account holder". I will never be using Verizon internet ever again. I also could not stand the fact that it was in my bedroom window where light shined in my eyes every single day.

kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

For issues related to 5G Home, please refer to the 5G Home page on the Verizon Fios Community.  

0 Likes