5G Home Internet Router Issues
Rugbypup
Enthusiast - Level 1

Set up the 5G Home Internet a few days ago. Have a strong signal at my location. It works fine usually, but inexplicably drops the wifi signal periodically. When the router is rebooted the signal is restored, and it will run fine for a few hours. Anyone experiencing similar problems, and is there a solution?

Re: 5G Home Internet Router Issues
Tinker_tuner
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd recommend signing into the gateway IP address and checking to see if the service band it switching to LTE.

I signed up for 5G Home Internet in late 2021 and everything was fine for about 1.5-2 months; great speed (average 700Mb/s down, ~100Mb/s upload). About 2 weeks ago my router started cycling between 5G and LTE networks - this dropped my speeds to 25Mb/s and could only be fixed by restarting the router a few times a day. Completely unusable by all home internet standards in the US. Technicians came out twice to swap my router in case the HW was defective, and spent time on the phone with engineers to 'reset' the local nodes (2 in my area). After 2 weeks and a 3rd technician coming out they can't tell me why the router keeps switching to LTE network and there is no way to disable the LTE antennae.

This service is great when it works, but I'm afraid their technical savvy about their own system is lacking. How do their own engineers not know why the router is switching networks? There is a log and everything is tracked in the gateway, and I assume on the Verizon side.

I'm switching back to Comcast (unfortunately), this 5G service isn't reliable enough to be utility-grade home internet.

Side note in case anyone at Verizon reads this: The gateway should be simple for people that don't care (colored LED light on the front), but it should also be more adept for people that want to manage their own networks. I use my own access points and if I turn of the gateway's built in WiFi signal (why have a network broadcast if it's unused?) I have to deal with a flashing yellow LED because 'the wifi is off' 

Whit514
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m having the same issues on home LTE.  Started on 5G uw rollout (1/19/22).  System worked great for six months prior.  Only thing that fixes short term is reboot.  Sometimes multiple reboots.  Unfortunately I have no other good options at my house.  Verizon please help us!

Drumr04
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue. When I first got the 5G modem it lost connection roughly twice a day. Several contact sessions with level 1, 2 and 3 techs resulted in the original modem being replaced. The replacement worked well for a few weeks but is now even worse than the first, requiring a restart and showing the flashing red light. I'm on with a tech again now to see what they can do. 

vman10809
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got my 5G home internet a few days ago also and having the same problem, it happens on wifi and ethernet connected devices, internet connectivity simply drops. Sometimes it will be every 5 to 10 minutes several times repeated, other times it will go several hours with no drops.  And same with reconnection, sometimes it comes back on its own, sometimes the gateway has to be power cycled.  Although I do seem to notice the issues happen more frequently around the same times of the day.  I spent an hour with Verizon tech support today, to which everything appeared to be ok with my equipment, and to contact them again if the issues continue to persist. 

illinoisvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vman10809 sadly that's my experience too.  Got 5G Ultra a week ago.  It worked flawlessly for exactly one week.  Now it disconnects constantly, and when it DOES work, it is much slower now.  Used to be 350 MB + now 70-ish.  Hours on the phone with VZW tech support and no one knows why.   I have ASK-NCQ1338 (the white cube).  They put in tickets but no one does anything to solve it.

illinoisvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Tinker_tuner I have ASK-NCQ1338.  Is is possible to check the LTE service band?  I've been to every menu option and don't see it.  Thanks

0 Likes
Tinker_tuner
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've already returned my equipment so I don't know my model number.  But if I remember right, when you logged into the router IP address (after the password screen) there was a large box with a few pictures showing connection status. Between the 'internet' globe and you router there is a signal strength icon that literally displays the number of bars and network type. I could watch the router restart, connect to 5G UW network at 5 bars, then the bars would drop and it would switch to LTE (4G) network. I could run speed tests before and after the switch and the values were clearly in line with actually switching networks (650Mb/s vs 25Mb/s).

illinoisvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support

This would be funny if it weren't so annoying.  I can't even get hold of VZW using the "call me back".   I schedule the call, and they call me, and there is no one on the line. Meanwhile service is intermittent.  Internet connectivity is elusive.  This morning the box was flashing red, which means a firmware update, but the admin panel is still showing the firmware version is the same as before.  And I still cannot connect to the internet, although I can connect to the router.  I guess I'll be making a trip to the VZW corporate store to return the box pretty soon since they are unable and/or unwilling to resolve the issue.

0 Likes
illinoisvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW sent me a new 5G modem today (the cube) and it performed even worse than the original one.  The customer service rep could see that it wasn't connecting so he told me to return the new one and keep the old one.  My wifi service is sporadic and when it does work I'm only getting about 70 MBPs instead of the 250 - 350 that I should be getting.  So I will wait one more day to see if they do anything on my service ticket, and then just cancel.    This whole thing has been just a huge waste of time and very disappointing.  VZW customer service reps seem to care, but there's just nothing they can do except take down the information and hope that someone else fixes it, which so far hasn't happened.