5g and lagacy data plans?
KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3
  • Does anyone know how this is going to work yet with the grandfathered data plans? Will we have access to 5g? Can we get a 5g phone keep our plans and just use 4g? Can we only get 4g phones? I figured with the new s20 line coming out we can get some answers on this. If this has already been discussed and answered please point me in the correct direction. Thanks all! Take care.
Re: 5g and lagacy data plans?
tbint62
Contributor - Level 2

It is marketing strategy. I'm in an area where 4G is still 3G. I get 4G but 3G is more reliable. I would like 5G but what would I use it for??? What TV on a 3x5 inch screen. Nope! Browse the Internet on same said screen??? Nope!

If I can not get 5G at the house, Verizon will sell it to me anyway. Nope!

Ragnarok is coming!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Exactly which legacy/grandfathered data plan are you referring to? Your options to access the 5G network will depend on which plan you have. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tbint62
Contributor - Level 2

Ann154

If you phone is not 5G compatible it matters not what plan you have. If your not in the range of the 5G network it matters not plan or phone, your not going to get 5G.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand that. If the OP does have 5G in their area and get a phone capable of 5G, their plan might still not allow them to access the 5G network because the $10 fee per month for the 5G access might not be compatible with their existing plan. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

No clue.. I have a unlimited data plan from like 2012 it's 49.99 a month doesn't include hot sport or anything just unlimited data.. I'm not actually worried about using the 5g as much as I'm worried about being able to buy new phones going forward.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

KParks24 wrote:

"No clue.. I have a unlimited data plan from like 2012 it's 49.99 a month doesn't include hot sport or anything just unlimited data.. I'm not actually worried about using the 5g as much as I'm worried about being able to buy new phones going forward."

I was wondering if that was the plan you have. Based on your description, it sounds like you have the Nationwide Plan with grandfathered unlimited smartphone data plan feature. The data plan feature cost is $49.99 per month for each line which has the unlimited smartphone data. If it is still available, you can add the Unlimited Mobile Hotspot feature to those lines for an additional charge per month.

With the Nationwide Plan having been retired for several years now, I very much suspect it will not be compatible with the 5G network. Whether or not you can activate a 5G compatible phone on it and not be forced to change your plan even if you can't access the 5G network in your area, I don't know. However the way Verizon Wireless has restricted new technologies on old plans in the past like they did with the long retired unlimited mobile broadband plan and not allowing 4G USB modems and MiFi devices to be activated on them, it wouldn't surprise me if they similarly restrict which plans can be used with the 5G devices. 

0 Likes
KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yup I actually just got rolled back onto that plan from a family plan, long story but I have the Nationwide 450 with unlimited data.. I was hoping with these samsung s20 phones coming out we would be getting some answers soon on what we would be expecting to happen.

0 Likes
KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

If anyone gets a 5g phone and has the grandfathered unlimited data plan please let me know the outcome.

Gregg3Gs
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G active on the Nationwide Talk & Text 900 plan, with legacy unlimited "email & web" data. I first signed up for this plan in 2009; Verizon stopped offering it to new subscribers in 2011.

The main benefit of the legacy plan is your data is never throttled or deprioritized, regardless of whether your are in a 3G, 4G, or 5G coverage area. This is true for both handset data and mobile hotspot data. Note that use of the mobile hotspot for the Nationwide plans is a flat monthly extra charge of $30, before any applicable discounts, but for this you get unlimited high-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot data. I don't have wi-fi in my apartment, I just use my phone as wi-fi for my laptop and other devices.

All of Verizon's currently offered plans have caps above which handset data may be deprioritized (0 GB, 25 GB, 50 GB, or 75 GB) when the network is busy, and above which hotspot data will be throttled (15 GB or 30 GB) to dial-up speeds, regardless of whether the network is busy or tranquil.

However, with the currently offered plans, a user with a 5G capable device, who is in a geographical area covered by 5G service, and who has activated the 5G feature on the line (might be at extra charge or included as a promotion), can receive unlimited high-speed handset and hotspot data. Start Unlimited does not allow any hotspot usage, nor does it include any premium 4G LTE data.

If you live in an area with 5G coverage, have a 5G device, and have the 5G feature active on your line, it will be quite enjoyable while you are in that area. The problem is, when you travel outside the 5G area, your data will be subject to the limitations that all the current Unlimited plans carry. With Nationwide Talk & Text, your data (handset or hotspot) is never deprioritized or throttled anywhere for any reason, regardless of where you travel.

Also, all current unlimited plans restrict video streaming to 480p DVD or 720p HD quality, whereas the legacy Nationwide plan will allow streaming at the best possible video quality, such as 1080p.

It does not appear it is possible to make use of the 5G capability when such a device is active on a legacy Nationwide line. Under "explore add-ons," there is no option to add the 5G access, neither for free nor at extra cost. However, the device can indeed at least be activated on the Nationwide plan, it will just be limited to 4G LTE, even when in a 5G area. When purchasing or activating the device, you may be unable to take advantage of certain special promotions or pricing, as these may require switching to a currently offered plan. Take special care to explicitly inform the Verizon representative that you do not, under any circumstances, wish to switch from your legacy Nationwide plan. I would try to pay for the entire device outright, and not try to do a payment plan. I would also strongly encourage you to avoid involving a third-party retailer in any way with the purchase or activation of your new device, as they are more apt to bungle it and inadvertently switch you to an unwanted plan, and your ability to get a mistake rectified is severely diminished when it was done by a third-party retailer. Only deal with Verizon corporate itself, a practice I have always meticulously adhered to.

But yes, you can activate a 5G capable device on the legacy Nationwide plan. I have that situation right now.