False advertising? Isn't that illegal?
Cutaway
Enthusiast - Level 2

I switched and ported over my number from AT&T.   The migration process was good.  But, to my dismay, I found that the 4GLTE and 5G coverage is horrible in my neighborhood.  I used the https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/ before making the decision.

I wasted hours with customer support on the phone and live chat.  They just fiddled with all the settings on my phone and resetting things on their systems.  No joy.

I finally talked to technical support today.  "Oh yeah, your address and neighborhood are known for poor coverage."    How can that be?  I checked their coverage map?!?

I live in a well-established neighborhood in San Jose, CA (#10 biggest in the U.S.).  The Verizon coverage map shows my address as bright pink.

How can Verizon get away with this?!?  Pay $90/mo. for this?   The only solution is the pain of switching back?   A nightmare...

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: False advertising? Isn't that illegal?
Doggo
Contributor - Level 3

Switching to Verizon right now is a bad idea with its well known congestion issues.

Search "Verizon C band". Once that is deployed, Verizon would be worth switching to.

Cutaway
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, @Doggo for the known issue.   My issue is not congestion.   I get 0-1 bar on 4GLTE and nothing for 5G at my house and around the neighborhood (within a 1/2 mile radius).    I cannot make a phone call if I don't use my AT&T Fiber Internet (LOL) with WiFi Calling enabled.   OMG...

Around 3/4 mile away from my house, I get 5 bars 4GLTE and another 1/2 mile further I get 4 bars 5G.    Speed test shows faster on 4GLTE over 5G.  Gee...

Verizon's marketing dept. know about this disaster?  How is their legal dept. run the business this way?   

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.22.46 PM.png

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Verizon has notes on the map that cover them as far as ‘false advertising’.

EC3F8451-F555-4277-80B3-1B113C31D5B4.jpeg

Had you asked, any existing Verizon customer would’ve told you that 5G is still in its infancy, and you cannot expect beautiful 5G coverage anytime soon. I’m old enough to remember when LTE was brand new, and just like now they sold LTE phones when there was no general widespread LTE coverage.   

if you had good coverage and reception with your AT&T service then switch back. It is not any carriers job to provide good coverage everywhere. It is 100% on us customers to choose a carrier that suits our needs.

Cutaway
Enthusiast - Level 2

@mama23dogs I saw and read the fine prints on the map.   I am reasonable about the 5G...I get it; it's new.   But no 4GLTE?  Come on...look at this picture.  I am at the Alpine Beer Garden in the heart of Silicon Valley.  Zero...nada..like my home.

Why doesn't Verizon show their internal coverage map on their website?   I would not have switched.   How much hassle is it to go back?   I'll suffer thru it out...I guess.  Ugh.

Business and Professions Code 17500 BPC is a California statute that prohibits false or deceptive advertising to consumers about the nature of a product or service. This covers false or misleading statements in printdigital, or any other advertising media...

Screenshot_20210727-073013_Messages.jpg

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Cutaway 

And all carriers include language to cover that:

https://www.verizon.com/legal/notices/customer-agreement/

5FA5A783-3DC0-4F30-B46F-94A58F810057.jpeg

It is still, always, 100% on us customers to make the choice, as no carrier can promise coverage everywhere, even within a generally covered area.  
restarting your phone might actually help you connect to the network because as your phone restarts it searches for service.   

0 Likes
Cutaway
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup...let's wait until someone gets hurt or dies because the cell coverage wasn't there.   I am certain the lawyers will find a way to use this https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/ tool as a way to grill the defense team.   Verizon will likely settle out of court.   Gee...

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Cutaway wrote:

Yup...let's wait until someone gets hurt or dies because the cell coverage wasn't there.   I am certain the lawyers will find a way to use this https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/ tool as a way to grill the defense team.   Verizon will likely settle out of court.   Gee...

You mean like years ago before cell phones?  Like Sprint and t-mo lack of rural coverage?  Like how all have a similar disclaimer, because radio waves can’t get through cement, rock, etc?   
Cell phones have been around for decades, and no cell phone provider has ever been brought to task for someone getting hurt or killed and not having cell coverage.  It’s why they all have disclaimers.  
Any carrier would be fool to agree to a dime.

Cutaway
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am leaving Verizon after 7 days.  Guess what?  It's a mess to go back to AT&T...

Another false promise of "you can cancel and give your money back."  

Nope

1. $50 re-stocking fee

2. Hey you did texting and data use.  We need to charge you for that (80% was on my home WiFi calling...)

3. Send the phone back and then you can port over your number.

There are more details that put all the burden on the customer...

Hope you can learn from my mistakes (yes, my bad) 

#epic-fail #not-amazon #false-advertising

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Cutaway wrote:

I am leaving Verizon after 7 days.  Guess what?  It's a mess to go back to AT&T...

Another false promise of "you can cancel and give your money back."  

Nope

1. $50 re-stocking fee

at&t restock fee is $55.  

2. Hey you did texting and data use.  We need to charge you for that (80% was on my home WiFi calling...)

Irrelevant.   Service is not prorated on any carrier when you leave.   and Wi-Fi calling still uses your service. Log into your account and look at your call logs. You will see that every Wi-Fi call is logged in and noted that it was a Wi-Fi call. There’s no way Verizon would know you were making a Wi-Fi call unless you were still using their service and their net work. A Wi-Fi call is just another way to connect to your service providers network.    You can Google that.  

3. Send the phone back and then you can port over your number.

There are more details that put all the burden on the customer...

Hope you can learn from my mistakes (yes, my bad) 

#epic-fail #not-amazon #false-advertising

And it would be no different if your complaints were about AT&T.  The burden is always on us customers what the carrier that works best for us. And if it doesn’t work out we definitely bear the Financial brunt of our choices.   This is why when I first switched to AT&T I moved one line to test the net work. I knew very well if it didn’t work out I was going to switch back.  
     I also hope you didn’t trade in any phones. Because once you turn them in you can’t get them back.  Also, just like AT&T.