Horrible ping on tower close to house
brandon6890
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I have a 5g home internet service in a smaller rural / town area. My neighbor also has the 5g home internet service. All of us in this area are getting horrible ping (over 600) for the last 2 or 3 weeks at different times of the day. This is worse than when I had ViaSat satellite internet a few years ago. While speeds are still well over 200 Mbps. Normal ping use to be around 30 to 50.  This is on the 5G home internet service as well as my 5G phone on local data. Verizon has been rolling out 5G home internet to more people in this area, but I would assume if the tower had to many people on it speeds would suffer the most, not ping. I also assume they would prioritize phone user's vs home 5g users but it is happening on both. Plus, it completely random, like this past Saturday, a day when most people are home and online, it ran fine at around 30 but tonight it's well over 600.

I contacted a support rep via chat and explained what is happening, but he (or she) did not seem to understand how bad the issue is. They mainly focused on the download speed being over 200 and said they wish they had that in the city. But with a ping that high I am getting connection time outs and you can pretty much rule out gaming or anything that requires a fast response time. Speed is irrelevant. 

I work in IT and have to remote into computers, with a ping that high it's making working remote almost impossible. Rep stated they will submit a report/ ticket but is there anything else I can do or anyone else I should contact to make sure this is looked into?

0 Likes
Re: Horrible ping on tower close to house
brandon6890
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well after spending nearly 3 hours on the phone with Verizon and getting transferred 3 or 4 times they have done absolutely nothing and think sending me range extenders is gonna do something even though I explained multiple times it happens on my home internet, my verizon phone on data, and my neighbor's home 5g internet so it's not a device issue. I can see the tower pretty much from my house and we get 4 bars. I don't know what else to do other then switch to a new provider for my cell phone and home internet. 

0 Likes