Keeping grandfathered unlimited plans with new 5G phones
fredtheocelot
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan on a 4G phone. If I pay the full retail price for a 5G device like the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G can I stay on my current plan?

When I went for 3G to 4G I was able to pay full retail for a 4G device and keep my grandfathered plan.

Plan is Nationwide talk plus minutes package and grandfathered unlimited data.

Plan: NATIONWIDE TALK 450
Account access: $39.99
Data: $49.99
Cost before taxes and fees $100

Re: Keeping grandfathered unlimited plans with new 5G phones
rcschnoor
Legend

@fredtheocelot wrote:

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan on a 4G phone. If I pay the full retail price for a 5G device like the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G can I stay on my current plan?

When I went for 3G to 4G I was able to pay full retail for a 4G device and keep my grandfathered plan.

Plan is Nationwide talk plus minutes package and grandfathered unlimited data.

Plan: NATIONWIDE TALK 450
Account access: $39.99
Data: $49.99
Cost before taxes and fees $100

It's not likely you would be able to keep your current plan. The only Verizon plans which have 5G appear to be the new unlimited plans and if you purchase a 5G phone, it looks as if you must move to a 5G plan.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

In addition to what the other community member wrote, I suspect 5G phones and plans will be similar to the restrictions Verizon Wireless placed on the mobile broadband unlimited plans that were retired prior to the 4G LTE network. They placed a restriction on those plans to not allow any of the new 4G LTE modems like the USB modems, mifi, or Jetpack devices on the retired plan. In other words, the 5G devices are not compatible with the retired plans. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Mad101
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes you will be able to keep it. Keep in mind you have to jump through the hoops Verizon has set for grandfathered in plan.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mad101 wrote:

Yes you will be able to keep it. Keep in mind you have to jump through the hoops Verizon has set for grandfathered in plan.

Prove it. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rempson
Contributor - Level 1

Somebody else had posted they had the 55+ plan and wanted 5G.  Verizon allowed them to keep their plan and pay an additional $10 for 5G.   As they had a current plan and you have an old plan, it might not be the same.  I would think you would need to inquire with Verizon to know for sure.  

0 Likes
XxDanielParkxX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Really?! What do I need to say. I have multiple representatives saying different things.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@rempson wrote:

Somebody else had posted they had the 55+ plan and wanted 5G.  Verizon allowed them to keep their plan and pay an additional $10 for 5G.   As they had a current plan and you have an old plan, it might not be the same.  I would think you would need to inquire with Verizon to know for sure.  

The 55+ plan is the recently retired unlimited plan, not the 10 year old legacy plan.  That plan did allow 5g devices.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@XxDanielParkxX wrote:

Really?! What do I need to say. I have multiple representatives saying different things.

You should assume that the website is correct and that the representatives don't know anymore than we do. The website says that 5G devices are allowed on the newer plans, and that if you want to use a 5G device you will be switched to a compatible plan.    

0 Likes
fredtheocelot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I always order online so I can see what the process and can take screenshots of the order. Also easier to skip the upsell on accessories I don't want.