Phasing Out 3G
jh1028
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an iPhone SE (original version from 2016, model mlly2ll/a), and I understand 3G will be phased out by the end of 2022. Will Verizon be offering help to those with 3G phones, such as free or discounted upgrades? Or will I have to purchase a completely new phone before mine becomes obsolete? (I contacted Verizon via telephone and online chat but didn’t get any answers.) #iphoneSE

0 Likes
Re: Phasing Out 3G
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon will likely send letters and offer deep discounts on 4G or 5G phones once the 3G sunset nears. They're already sort-of doing that right now with the device trade-in programs they're doing, with Verizon purchasing back the device at what some might see as being a higher than market rate price.

With that said, the iPhone SE is a VoLTE capable device so it won't be affected by the 3G shutdown. Once that time comes, a software update or Carrier Update to the phone will come out to tell the phone to no longer use CDMA for Verizon (however it may still roam onto other CDMA networks which are active at the time), and if you had turned off VoLTE in Settings > Cellular > Roaming Options, to force the setting back on.

0 Likes