Will our old devices function when 5G starts?
Tomco

My company has about 10 basic Samsung Convoys, 10 iPhone 5 SE and 30 iPhone 6 or newer.  Will any of these work with 5G?  If not, will Verizon swap out our existing equipment at no cost?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will our old devices function when 5G starts?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 4G/LTE network is going to be around for quite a while. What will be going away is Verizon Wireless's CDMA voice network. In order to remain active on the network beyond 2019, mobile phones must be able to send & receive calls via 4G/LTE.

I suspect that the Samsung Convoys will need to be replaced as they are older 3G units. I think that the iPhones will be OK...but...anyone with a more concrete answer will chime in.

As far as Verizon Wireless replacing phones at no cost to the user, I doubt that will happen. My suggestion would be to have the company start looking into replacements for the Samsung feature phones.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 4G/LTE network is going to be around for quite a while. What will be going away is Verizon Wireless's CDMA voice network. In order to remain active on the network beyond 2019, mobile phones must be able to send & receive calls via 4G/LTE.

I suspect that the Samsung Convoys will need to be replaced as they are older 3G units. I think that the iPhones will be OK...but...anyone with a more concrete answer will chime in.

As far as Verizon Wireless replacing phones at no cost to the user, I doubt that will happen. My suggestion would be to have the company start looking into replacements for the Samsung feature phones.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a few 4G basic phones available now for purchase.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Tomco wrote:

My company has about 10 basic Samsung Convoys, 10 iPhone 5 SE and 30 iPhone 6 or newer. Will any of these work with 5G? If not, will Verizon swap out our existing equipment at no cost?

They will not work with 5G. They will continue to work with 4G after 5G has been introduced the same way 3G phones NOW continue to work with 3G service even though 4G was introduced several years ago.

Verizon will not swap out your existing equipment at no cost.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yup....and they are all 4G so they will be usable after December 2019. Smiley Happy

0 Likes