Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
After a couple weeks and 2nd iWatch - Still no texting :-/
Frontman13

I've had an open ticket for a week, I've exchanged the watch for a 2nd unit, and still, if I leave my iPhone (on, connected to LTE AND WiFi) I cannot send or receive texts. SMS or iMessage. Nada.

I'd love a fix before I return the second watch tomorrow.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: After a couple weeks and 2nd iWatch - Still no texting :-/
stef7
0 Likes
Frontman13

I've done some pretty extensive searching, and have read both of those. Why are some people able to get their watch working, while others cannot. That is the big question.

I'm going to call Verizon one last time today to see if they can make this $400 paperweight work. If not, back it goes and I'll start looking elsewhere.

0 Likes
Frontman13

Also to add, according to everything I've read, again, if the phone is powered on and connected to LTE or WiFi, which my phone is BOTH, I should be able to send/receive texts when I walk literally across the street.

But nope.

0 Likes
stef7

That is pretty sad. Have you tried speaking with the Apple Support folks by phone or chat? How about going into an Apple Store?

I'm not dinging VZW support, but I sense there's possibly some very narrowly known knowledge that Apple has that VZW might not have about this. Either that, or possibly there's a hrdware difference between the devices VZW received, and what is being offered in the Apple Store.

I think I'd be on Apple like an Apple Worm (reference to a very old program for the Apple Computer). I'd return it if you can't get it to work and I would DEMAND a full refund.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@Frontman13

It’s important that you’re able to successfully use all of the available features on your Apple Watch. I understand this has been going on for some time now and that this is now going on with your second watch. Please allow me to assist.

First, confirm which model Apple Watch do you have? What exactly happens when you try to send a text? Please let me know so that I can further assist.

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Frontman13

I have the Apple iWatch Series 3 that I purchased directly from Verizon. 42mm Case, Dark Olive Sport Loop.

Model A1861

If I am in direct vicinity of my phone, texting works perfect. If I am away from the phone, but the watch is connected to the same WiFi network, texting works fine. When I leave my phone at home, and the phone is ON and connected to both WiFi and LTE network, ZERO texts can be sent or received on the watch.

0 Likes
stef7

Great synopsis. Did you contact Apple Support directly? What did they say?

I would not go outside my return window on this. There may be something wrong with the SmartWatch. If Apple can't help you solve the problem, and you've narrowed the situation down nicely, presuming the AppleWatch Series 3 can text when untethered to WiFi, and not in range of the phone ??? return it.

Keep doing so till you get a unit that works properly.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Frontman13, we know how important it is to get your text messages when away from your iPhone. We are here to help you with that feature.

Can you make and receive calls on your Apple Watch when away from your iPhone? Is this issue occurring when connected to any Wi-Fi connection or just your home Wi-Fi?

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Frontman13

Yes, I can make and receive cellular calls on the watch, near and away from the phone. I have turned the WiFi on the phone off and left the phone at home, and still cannot send/receive texts.

According to many tech sites and articles on the watch, it says that as long as the phone is connected to LTE it should work when I'm away from the phone, but it does not.

0 Likes