Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Does anyone use the mobile hot spot device? How does it work, and do I need to open a wifi account? Or will it use my data?
Ddillion81

want to know how mobile hot spot works

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Does anyone use the mobile hot spot device? How does it work, and do I need to open a wifi account? Or will it use my data?
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

When you say "mobile hot spot device", it's unclear to me what you mean.

A jetpack like the Ellipsis MHS800L or MiFi6620L?  You need a data plan, and any devices connected to the wifi on the that device will use your data plan.  Basically, these devices are your internet connection, but they are portable because they use Verizon's cellular data network rather than a landline or cable connection.  And the devices generate a wifi signal that phones, and computers, and tablets CAN use to connect to the internet.  ALL the data used goes through the jetpack, and goes against your data allowance.  I haven't used one of these devices as we have solid home internet.

Do you mean the mobile hot spot on your phone?  It works similarly to the jet pack by turning your phone into a wifi hotspot for other devices to connect to.  This I HAVE used on occasion to go online with my laptop when I was in a location with no wifi and no other internet except my phone and it's hotspot.  And it works quite well.  The data used does go against your plan.

Whichever type of device you are talking about will use your data - you don't have to "open a wifi account" - effectively you are using your cellular data to provide wifi for other devices.

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

Re: Does anyone use the mobile hot spot device? How does it work, and do I need to open a wifi account? Or will it use my data?
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

When you say "mobile hot spot device", it's unclear to me what you mean.

A jetpack like the Ellipsis MHS800L or MiFi6620L?  You need a data plan, and any devices connected to the wifi on the that device will use your data plan.  Basically, these devices are your internet connection, but they are portable because they use Verizon's cellular data network rather than a landline or cable connection.  And the devices generate a wifi signal that phones, and computers, and tablets CAN use to connect to the internet.  ALL the data used goes through the jetpack, and goes against your data allowance.  I haven't used one of these devices as we have solid home internet.

Do you mean the mobile hot spot on your phone?  It works similarly to the jet pack by turning your phone into a wifi hotspot for other devices to connect to.  This I HAVE used on occasion to go online with my laptop when I was in a location with no wifi and no other internet except my phone and it's hotspot.  And it works quite well.  The data used does go against your plan.

Whichever type of device you are talking about will use your data - you don't have to "open a wifi account" - effectively you are using your cellular data to provide wifi for other devices.

Hope that makes sense.

Ddillion81

this does that make sense to me. Thank you very much for your input

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

You're welcome!

0 Likes