Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRRS headphones stopped working on phone.... today
clareify

Ive been listening to music, books, movies, etc wth the same TRRS headphones
for months and this morning I plugged them in and nothing happens. My phone
doesn't acknowledge them and when I press play on my phone, the book/music app
tries to play and then it wont (meaning the Play Triange changes to the Pause
symbol and then reverts back to the play triangle). The headphones still work
in my computer so they are not broken.  And the headphone jack on my phone is not broken because the apps play just fine with any TRS (2 ring instead of 3 ring) hachphone.

Why is this happening?  Last night I listened to my audible book. without problem. This morning, I have only had problems.

Please help me!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: TRRS headphones stopped working on phone.... today
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Did you happen to fall asleep on the last night?

0 Likes
clareify

Hi Snn5,

I actually didn't fall asleep with them in last night (but I have in the past without trouble).  I was just listening while drawing and then set the phone and headphones on my nightstand when I went to bed (I unplugged the headphones the headphones this morning to make a call and I've not been able to use them since).  It's so weird because I have been listening with these and this phone since December without trouble.  The headphones came with an HTC Rezound.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Make sure the port is clean, canned air is good for that.  Headphones are tricky...they can wear out at all time points and some equipment is more receptive than others.

0 Likes
clareify

YA, thanks for the tips.  Its just weird because these headphones work fine in other devices and other headphones work fine in my phone and up until today, these headphones also worked fine in my phone...So the headphones aren't broken, the port is clean because other headphones work... I just don't get it.  Thanks for responding

clareify

Oh ya, one more thing.  The apps wont even play when the headphones are plugged in

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Did you recently upgrade the Turbo this past week?  If so, you might need to clear the cache for the phone, and if you experience any other issues, you might think about a back up and reset.

0 Likes
clareify

About 1 or 2 weeks ago, Andriod 5.1 Lollipop was installed via an update.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  I will look into what you said.  Thanks for your help.  I figure worst case scenario, I can just purchase headphones with a 2 ring plug.  My speakers with a 2 ring plug have no problems.  It just sucks cause these are really good headphones

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Well, the 3rd ring is for the in-line mic.  Some of those react poorly as a play/pause/call answer button.

Clear Cache Partition

0 Likes
clareify

Ya know, I can randomly hear static coming through the headphones and when I press the fast forward button on the play/pause/call button I can hear a bunch of ticking noises.  And just a minute ago, it came through the headphones for 3 seconds and then stopped again.  I know it is probably something defective in the headphones (Which sucks because these are really nice)

0 Likes