Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why should VZW customer pay $250 more for the Samsung Gear S?
SunDevilFan

Dear Verizon,

I justify paying your higher than competition service fees due to the fact that you offer excellent coverage, excellent plans, and what I thought was excellent customer service and care.

This evening while browsing online I came across a promotion that AT&T was offering their customers. The Samsung Gear S for $99.99 w/ 2 year agreement. I thought that I would have no issues having my local Verizon store price match this product, I was mistaken. I asked the store manager who stated "we don't price match" as he turned away to help another customer. I waited for a Rep to free up so I could get a more clear answer and when one did I posed the same question regarding the price match as I did to the manager. The rep told me they could not price match in store, however, I should call customer care. Upon returning home this evening I dialed VZW customer care and was told that they could not price match and I should instead speak with the telephone sales department. As directed I dialed the telephone sales department and was offered a $40 credit if I purchase the watch at $349.99. I would have rather been denied the price match again instead of being offered a minuscule discount that comes nowhere near AT&T's advertised $99.99.

Just because we VZW customer pay a premium for excellent coverage does not mean we need to pay a premium on equipment. I ask that Verizon price match the Samsung Gear S to $99.99 (as advertised with AT&T) with a 2 year agreement.

If the following link does not work the watch and price can easily be found on the AT&T website.

Samsung Gear S from AT&T

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why should VZW customer pay $250 more for the Samsung Gear S?
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

There is nothing to price match. Verizon no longer does contracts so you match our of contract price which the 2 year contract isn't buying outright.

0 Likes
SunDevilFan

I'm lost. The tag on the the Gear S in the Verizon store says

$399.00 full price

$349.99 w/ 2 year agreement

I'm currently in an agreement with Verizon for my phone for another year. If I were to leave VZW I would have to pay an early termination fee. I'm confused how that isn't a contract.

0 Likes
SunDevilFan

Further, the tag at AT&T on the Gear S states

$299.99 full price

$99.99 w/ 2 year agreement.

Could you please clarify the difference?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

So with the $40 credit with AT&T current promo out of contract price they are within $10 of each other.

Sorry Verizon doesn't do contracts anymore so that option is out the window.

0 Likes
SunDevilFan

That really doesn't answer antyhing.

The watch is $99.99 at AT&T with a 2 year agreement. The watch is $349.99 at Verizon with a 2 year agreement. $349.99-40= $309.99. $309.99-99.99= $210. That's a $210 difference not $10. How does Verizon no longer do contracts when I was in the store today and all the tags had pricing based on 2 year agreements? What's the difference between an agreement and contract?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Verizono is phasing out contracts. If you haven't had a contract for a wearable you will not be able to get a contract for one. You signed that contract BEFORE they removed the option (couple months ago). When you fulfill your contract you still have an option for a contract but if you opt out from that point you can never get a contract again. So since you are trying to get a wearable and you are not under any contract for one therefore you can't get them for a wearable.

0 Likes
SunDevilFan

Is this new? Because the in-store pricing as of this evening still reflects contracts.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

When you sign that service contact you pay for the service which in turn you will pay nearly the same. Also buying it out of contract allows you not to have service for it when you don't want it vs sticking the full 2 years. So in essence you pay the same. One is outright the other is over time.

IIRC correctly AT&The wearable plan is $40 a month unless you add phone service. So $40×24 + $99(contract price) +$40(activation) is how much? Better to buy outright and choose where it goes and get data only when you need it. 

I like cheaper pricing like anyone else, but people need to look at true cost of ownership and not what happens at day 1. It'll burn you in the long run in most cases.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Yes contracts option is not an option if you are not under contract anymore. If have the option only if you had a contract before. Since you never had a contract for a wearable you wouldn't get the contract price and all new customers will never either. Once a person opts out of using their contract and switch to no contract or DPP they can never go on contract again.

0 Likes