Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wear24 as a stand-alone device?
sovaldi

Hi, I wonder if anybody succeeds in putting the wear24 smartwatch onto their verizon plan recently? I know verizon discontinued this watch but supposedly you still can add it to the plan to function independently as a voice+data device (no need to pair with a phone). No one from tech support seems to know enough about this to help me. Here was what I did.

I got two new Wear24's from ebay for my niece and nephew. I called and gave verizon the imei and iccid of each so they can add two smartwatch lines onto my plan. I then set them up according to the instructions (which really are just for pairing them with a smartphone). I cannot find any specific instructions on how to set them up as stand-alone devices. What I noticed though, is when I tried to set up calling, the watch will try to activate hd voice (on my phone?) but then will say "provision failed-your line is currently not eligible for calling" So that is where I am now, about half way connected to the phone and don't know where to go from here.

The watches will not be able to make and receive calls using their own lines (when I turn off the bluetooth connection to my phone). In the cellular setting it shows that they are connected to the verizon network with their own phone numbers and everything seems correct. If I call the watches' numbers, I will get the error from verizon "the wireless customer you call is not available at this time"

I cannot tell if it is an issue with the watches or an error on verizon's end. the watches are supposedly brand new so I don't think both would be defective in the same way. I am stumped and really need help. I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: wear24 as a stand-alone device?
JEFFREYB687

HD Audio is an advanced calling feature that your phone must be cable of, and that Verizon must enable in their system.  Most newer smart phones are HD Audio capable.

I had no trouble setting up my Wear 24 with Verizon calling AFTER I updated the watch to Android Wear 2.0 AND then performed a master reset on the watch.

kwips

The first thing you have to do is make sure that your smartphone supports Advanced Calling(HD Voice).  If it does, then you need to activate it on your device as well as your account.

Once that is done, contact customer service and let them know that you want to add your Wear24 as a connected device.  This will add an additional $5 dollar charge for each device connected.  The smartwatches will display your own personal number but it will be useless as a callback number. The Message + app will be your key to making phone calls.

The Verizon Message + app basically will act as a host and use your existing cell phone number for your smartwatch to make & receive calls.  You will still be able to use the Wear24 as a standalone device but it will piggyback off of your Verizon Wireless smartphone number. 

The problem with the Message + app is that you are no longer notified on your watch for incoming calls.  You can still make calls, but you will not be notified of a phone call if you don't have your smartphone nearby.  This has basically been an issue with the Message + app for several months.  I've been calling Verizon CS requesting a fix.

Hope this helps.

sovaldi

thank you both for your help. So without hd voice, the smartwatch will not transmit voice even as a bluetooth device (no smartwatch service) right?

so currently only the samsung gear can be a stand alone device with its own number on verizon?

0 Likes
kwips

Right.  The update to AW 2.0 corrupted the Bluetooth headset profile so you can't even connect the Wear24 as a true Bluetooth device to make calls. It will connect to Bluetooth to receive notifications and texts but that's about it.

0 Likes
TAPS212

I am able to use my Wear24 as a phone while connected via Bluetooth to my Pixel XL. Though I'm not sure why anyone would want to. The speaker on mine is extremely poor quality and the volume is barely audible. To me, if it worked as a standalone, it'd be okay to possibly help in an emergency. But I wouldn't use it as an everyday thing unless the standalone phone option worked with Bluetooth headphones.

0 Likes
blackbird19

I'm experiencing the same as kwips described.  My Wear24 connects to the Pixel XL enough to get texts and other notifications but I can't make bluetooth calls.  It doesn't show as a truly "paired" device on my phone.  (The bluetooth symbol doesn't have the little arrows on either side of it.)  This is extremely frustrating.  Does anyone know if another update could fix the issue?  Would the update need to come from Verizon or Google?  I'm trying to find out if I'm dead in the water and should return this watch while I still can or if there is a way to make it do as it was advertised.

0 Likes
DonWm62

I've been trying to set up my wear24 as a standalone so I don't need to lug my smartphone everywhere. I don't plan on speaking thru the watch but would use paired Bluetooth headphones to speak thru. I'm having trouble with provisioning my watch to my phone. So after an hour on phone with Verizon yesterday, the tech told me that message+ no longer works as the go between to connect the two devices so watch can be used on it's own. I'm not sure I buy this. Any thoughts?

Btw, it's a small niche market but people did buy this watch with the intent of standalone use, I would find it hard to believe that they'd kill the service like this. I'm still trying to connect. I'll post updates on my progress.

0 Likes
DonWm62

Actually you can pair headphones, car, speakers etc to your watch they Bluetooth. I've used watch to listen to Pandora as a standalone device when phone was left at home. If you're able to make calls independent of the phone, then Bluetooth would make it easier to talk/listen. Just a thought...

0 Likes