Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
$220 Overage Fee with Horrible HomeFusion
DadTheGrounder

HomeFusion is a great product if you like paying for a service that you spend all your time trying to figure how to not use.  We "enjoyed" $220 in overages this month for a whopping $340 total bill.  Yay for us.  How freakin' stupid are we to be paying that kind of money for internet service...jeeze...kicks self.

A 30GB plan is not adequate for today's data consuming market.  Unfortunately for the consumer, Verizon knows this.  Do you ever wonder how arbitrary numbers like 30GB/Month are crafted?  Yeah, they might say that their equipment can't handle the load if everyone used "lots" of data or whatever but consider this - what if every 30GB/month plan customer initiated a file download at precisely the same time.  Would their system fail?  I doubt that it would.  So being able to accommodate the needs of the customer base regardless of how many active users there are is a different subject than the company telling you how much it's willing to let you use before screwing you over some more.  It's like the water company saying you can only have 250 gallons per month because it will cost them more to deliver the 251'st gallon so they charge you 250% more for that extra gallon.  But what if we all turned on our faucets at the same time?  Does the water company's system panic and shut down?  I think not, they're in business to deliver water.  But water is tangible...and data is not.  We need more companies that are willing to provide a service for a fee without building layer after layer of ways to dig deeper into your pockets.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: $220 Overage Fee with Horrible HomeFusion
7e18n1

You should probably learn how to manage your metered data plan. Many of us get by on less than half of what you claim is not enough, without overages. If you’re going to use the service any old way you feel like, that is exactly what Verizon Wireless wants from you.

DadTheGrounder

I know that's what they want from us. But my wife and I both work from home and have jobs that require internet usage.  And then there are the teenagers on top of that.  We work and we play...just like everyone else expects from their internet service.  But consider this:  a single World of Tanks update for my son to continue to play one of his favorite online games can be 8-10GB.  So, if we're already using our 30GB for work and general internet usage then it costs $100 for him to download a freaking game patch that would be free if I were on any other service.  And we've given up on those 30GB Xbox One games so the One pretty much sits there collecting dust because I won't pay $300 for him to download Assassin's Creed or whatever.  Data caps are just frustrating.

I typical week in our home:

• Sorry son that download will cost $300
  • Sorry son that download will cost $100
  • Stop streaming music son
  • Honey, stop watching all those DIY youtube videos
  • No, we can't sign up for NetFlix
  • Sorry, but no, we can't use an online backup service like that
  • ...repeat

I congratulate those on being able to manage their metered plans though.  Let's celebrate those that pay big bucks for a service and then work extra hard to not use it.  HomeFusion is not a whole home solution unless you have very deep pockets.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

How far away is DSL or Cable?   At least you likely don't have to deal with wear and tear on a car and wasted hours in a car everyday.  At least out that on your spreadsheet as saved costs. 

HEre in California, we do have drastic increases in rates for the "251st" gallon of water and the "251st" kWh of electric and the "251st" cu ft of natural gas.  Not exactly like overage, but rates increase dramatically with more use. 

0 Likes
DadTheGrounder

Good point about wear and tear offsets Weth.  We're about 33K feet from DSL point which is about 5K further than they'll issue service for if I recall correctly.  And no cable option in our subdivision either.  We're in a rural area somewhere between "the sticks" and modern civilization and thus the dependence on HomeFusion.  We had a line of site wireless option until a couple of years ago.  Speeds were up and down, it wasn't very stable but at least it was unlimited usage.  We had to give that up because the line of site went from the back edge of our property a shot across an adjacent farm to the tower about 5 miles away but now a tree line has encroached the view so it blocks the signal.  And, I can't move it back any further.  Things could be worse but I like to get on here and bitch once in a while to get it off my chest.  Makes me feel better.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Push for the subdivision to install DSL, cable or fiber. IMO the designers of the subdivision were stupid not to install some kind of internet backbone along with the power, water and sewer system.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DadTheGrounder

Good idea to push for DSL Ann.  I've heard that AT&T won't extend DSL to our subdivision but I don't have all of the facts.  Maybe they just need to hear a collective plea from customers that will commit again.  The developers of the subdivision had no concept of an internet backbone when they were planning and building it in the late 70's or early 80's.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Did they at least install a phone line cable to serve the houses within the subdivision? If the phone company can get a fiber hub or more substantial trunk cable close to the subdivision entrance, the existing copper phone lines might be sufficient for DSL.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DadTheGrounder

Yes, we have copper for phones and the older section of the neighborhood has cable but the newer section is beyond what the cable company would extend to.  I just asked AT&T to open a discovery ticket (or whatever they call it) to look into expanding DSL to our area.  I'm not optimistic.  The last couple of times I tried this we didn't get very far.  But it's been a few years since the last time we tried.

In the mean time, my son downloaded Ryse for Xbox One and we're at 59 GB for the month now.  So, we're looking at another $400+ bill on the next statement with over a week remaining in the billing period.  I'm going to have to take my gaming rig over to my brother-in-law's house to pick up the latest LOTRO patch.

Folks...don't take your real ISPs for granted.  Appreciate those downloads...big or small.  From streaming Netflix to that new pic of aunt Sally's new little puppy wuppy.    At least one HomeFusion customer is very, very jealous.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Maybe you could rethink about allowing data hogging online games like what your son seems to be playing.

0 Likes