Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6620l losing wifi
BooLovesOps

So I have to have 24/7 internet connection as this is our only Wi-Fi in rural Indiana. I upgraded to the 6620l for better antenna, but am running into bigger problems. I have adjusted the power management settings so that the jetpack will never shut off or go to sleep. Still the Wi-Fi shuts off after a couple of hours. Even when devices are connected. The jetpack is still on and looks as though it is functioning, however you cannot connect with any device. It does this every few hours and consistently drops all connections. I've tried the hard reset and the removing the sim and putting it back. It has already done both of the software updates. No fix. I need to know if this jetpack is capable of 24/7 connection or not. I have security and other connections that have to be on all the time. The 890L did this perfectly. What's wrong with the 6620L?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: 6620l losing wifi
rrrocker

Noticed this morning that my 6620L had a firmware upgrade waiting.

According to Verizon Jetpack MiFi 6620L Software Update | Verizon Wireless ...

"This software update (SU2.5) fixes a Wi-Fi connectivity issue that many public safety customers were experiencing."

That definitely sounds promising, so I did the upgrade. So far so good.

View solution in original post

7e18n1

Turn the System Log file on and set it for 4 days. There is likely a clue as to what’s wrong.

No Jetpack is designed to be on 24/7 and if they are they will fail. The only question is how much will it fail and for what reasons.

Are you changing any of the default setting after Reset? If so, try not changing any of the settings after Reset. 

As an experiment, reset the device and change nothing. Use a USB cable to tether it to a computer and turn off Wi-Fi. Does it still do as described?

Adam_E

I have this same exact issue. I work for law enforcement and Verizon told me these would work great for our patrol cars. We had one sent to us for testing and worked with the same options set as BooLovesOps and worked great. So we ordered the rest for the cars. Around the time we got the devices there was a mandatory update we were forced to do. After that update we get disconnects in every single car that happen between 10 minutes - 2 hours.

I even tried just buying a new usb wireless adapter to see if maybe the Panasonic Toughbooks were struggling with the connection but that didn't matter. When it dropped it's literally not showing up in the wifi connections area on the tough book. Completely disappears but the MiFi seems to be on and working.  Just today I tested with one Toughbook and had my Android phone connected. Both dropped at the same time. Seems liek this last update really messed them all up. I have some very unhappy police officers, haha.  The only thing that seems to work (but is super slow to connect at first with the toughbooks) is tether. Takes a good 4 minutes for the initial connection. Then they are good for the rest of the day.

0 Likes
Re: Re: 6620l losing wifi
7e18n1

The current firmware looks to be ver 2.0 - 5/22/2015 

Working on tether is interesting. 

Turn on the System Log and set to four days.

In Advanced > Networks > Preferred Network Technology > set to 4G LTE only

In Advanced > LAN, verify DHCP lease time is 1440 & disable IPv6

See if these changes make any difference.

You and the OP should probably call Customer Service (800) 922-0204 about the problem.

Re: Re: 6620l losing wifi
Adam_E

Already had those in place minus the 4G LTE part (set to Global at the moment). So I'll change that. I did have logging on though and saw it drop. Not sure what to look for just yet but I'll download the logs so I can look at it a bit easier. Thanks.

0 Likes
Adam_E

I think that might have done the trick. You should give that a shot too, BooLovesOps. So far I haven't dropped any connection when swapping it to LTE. Might be too early to tell but normally the WiFi itself would disappear but still show bars that it's talking to the tower at least. I think with the new update when it's bouncing towers (it can do that if you're stationary in-between towers too, not just on the road) it literally broke the Wifi portion of it. If you would like I can update this forum post in a couple days if it's still working flawlessly or was a fluke. Smiley Happy

7e18n1

Sounds good!  Keep us updated if you can.

0 Likes
Adam_E

So far so good. Had one mishap this morning but it wasn't due to Wifi. I think it just had a little trouble with the tower which happens to all of these devices. Reboot and worked fine. Definitely not a hassle compared to what it had in the past. Going to roll them out in the 12 other cars we have and let them go over the weekend. I'll let you know on Monday if I get a massive amount of emails or not. If I don't I'm assuming everything went great. Smiley Happy

Adam_E

Crap. It dropped again. I moved it to 3G and hasn't dropped anymore. So wondering if they even have the slightest of hiccup in the network it's going to completely mess up this MiFi....  Hope they bring out some sort of patch update soon..

0 Likes
7e18n1

Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

0 Likes