Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
87 year old dad uses over 4G of data month -can I monitor how?
lisa1958

My 87 year old dad uses a Hotspot to connect his laptop to the internet. The only thing he knows how to do is use is aol.com email account, yahoo stocks and read the paper online. He uses up to 4gig a month and I can't figure out how. He isn't watching movies online. Literally the only thing he does is check his email, stocks and read the daily papers. Is there any way to monitor how or what apps his data is using? He is on my account so he can share mine otherwise he was getting overage fees. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: 87 year old dad uses over 4G of data month -can I monitor how?
ejwdaw

Verizon has a service called "hard stop" you can put on the line for about $4.99 a month that lets you set the amount of data each line you have can use. When that amount is reached on that line, the data service is shut down for the rest of that billing cycle. It helps people keep from exceeding the limits, of their data package. You might want to check it out. It is really helpful for people who have kids or even elderly parents on their plans. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pherson
Leader

Any aond all ofthose things would use that data amount. In email and other webpages, there are videos being played, animated gifs, etc. And since Verizon doesnt list what sites he is on there is no sure way of knowing.

ejwdaw

Verizon has a service called "hard stop" you can put on the line for about $4.99 a month that lets you set the amount of data each line you have can use. When that amount is reached on that line, the data service is shut down for the rest of that billing cycle. It helps people keep from exceeding the limits, of their data package. You might want to check it out. It is really helpful for people who have kids or even elderly parents on their plans. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

System updates can take a lot of data. How are his automatic updates setup? Some websites are ad and video heavy too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

EdBeNice

Don't know if this will help or not but this is what I have discovered doing about the same things he does.  Last July or Aug many of the sites especially MSN made several changes to their sites. There are more pictures with every headline and a lot more of them.  Also there are many of them as video and if not very careful accessing the link activates the download and that really gobbles up the data. Many times it is difficult to tell which are going to access the video or just a text or a text with video. I used to like to go to the MSN web site and read articles until they made these changes.  For this reason I seldom connect to MSN anymore and CNN wasn't any better. I have tried the Google news but haven't found it very useful either.  For awhile while my data usage was out of wack so I started driving 8 miles into town to get a newspaper and while there I would stop at MDs arches grab a cup of coffee and connect my laptop there.

I monitor my usage very carefully keeping a log to track every action I do on the internet when connected.  Everyday I download the data usage detail into an Excel spreadsheet I created to keep a daily total of my usage and total usage for the billing cycle. Last Wednesday when I did the monthly updates on my PC and Laptop it used almost 400 MB but other than these few times my daily usage will average about 120 MB. Without reading the news my usage is about 70 MB per day. Recently (2 days ago) something changed the frequency my anti-virus updates from daily to every 10 minutes. I have the file locked so I cannot accidently change it so I know it did not accidently get changed. I have now changed it back to every 1440 minutes to update. If he uses Google mail you may also want to check to see if there are a lot of un-needed messages that are loading when connecting to his mail.

0 Likes