Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Absurdly high data usage?
dchadwell

We just bought an additional cell phone and moved to a new shared plan.  Immediately my husbands phone started using data at an alarming rate.  Every couple of days I was getting a text that we were at 75% used so I kept increasing the plan.  Bottom line is that his phone is using 10 times more data than my phone.  When analyzing our usage the time period where he is using the most data is while he is driving to work AND NOT EVEN USING HIS PHONE.  I can't find a phone number for Verizon so I can speak with someone so have resorted to this forum for some advice.  Obviously there is something wrong.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Absurdly high data usage?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
dchadwell,

I definitely get being concerned to see very high data usage on this new line! I know I would be concerned. There are things on smart phones that can use data when you aren't actively using it. Things like backups and updates as well as things like your email syncing. There are many other possibilities. In most cases those aren't large though. The time that shows though isn't necessarily when the data is used, it is when it reports to our towers. It could be any time between that time and the time before that. Let's see if we can figure out what is causing this. What type of phone do you have? Have you checked our data utilization tool? http://vz.to/1wb0QNv

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
dchadwell

I was able to call in and speak to tech support.  I did not have the addl phone when I called but was told how I could verify what was using the data.  I have checked and the phone shows that the primary usage is the hot spot.  My husband does utilize the hotspot while he works remotely, but the majority of the usage pursuant to your website is 6 - 7 am.  Based on your comment it could be anytime between then and previous reporting.  Many times there are numerous "hits" between 6-7 am.  But even if it did go to the night before he still doesn't use the hotpot during the night.  He only works during the day.  I had also previously turned off the automatic backups.  Based on the phone the hotspot has used 5.38 GB the next highest usage is YouTube at .05 GB.  So when the hotspot is turned on, is it using data continuously?  Also, we still haven't figured out why it would be using so much data during the night.  I am going to call back in to tech support.

Thanks for your quick response.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

IS he forgetting to turn hotspot off and his laptop is doing updates at night?

0 Likes
dchadwell

That's a very good thought, but no. His laptop is shutdown at the end of

the day and is not turned on again until the next day.

Thank you.

0 Likes
ernchene

I'm having the same issue! They are saying I went over 6 gigs of data... There is no way! Are usually average two to three gigs a month. This is the second time this has happened to me. When they did the update Samsung told me there was something running in the background that should not have been. They refunded me that time. Once again I get a new phone and its saying I'm over 6 gigabytes of data absolutely ridiculous! Verizon is a scam and karma's a bitch

0 Likes
National

We are having the same problem. We have the mifi 5510L and we have always stayed below our 10gig each month, until July and now into this next period. We started seeing messages within 10 days of the new period that we were going over. Nothing in our business has changed to cause such high usage.

When I contacted Verizon support, they said it was because of the Windows updates running in the background, mainly the Windows 10 trying to get ready for downloading to the computers. I went to every computer and switched off the automatic updates, and just bring the computers home to my unlimited service to do it. Well, guess what? Another warning. We were billed for 10 extra gig last period and we are on track to the same this period, which ends on the 13th. It looks like they are saying we are using about a gig each day. How can that be? Our main usage is email and our QuickBooks accounting software. We don't listen to music, watch videos or play any games. We are so frustrated. We will be looking into alternative internet and dropping Verizon in the near future.

0 Likes
National

I forgot to mention, we shut the unit off every night and no one has our password to use our internet. It is only two people in the office.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

How many computers are connected during the day? Keep in mind the Windows update is about 4 GB per computer and will happen even if you have automatic updates turned off.

The next step is to figure out which computer and which programs are grabbing the data. You cannot pin the blame on the jetpack until you rule out the computers are not actually using the data. A utility such as NetBalancer can be installed on each computer to monitor internet usage down to each program and service. This will give you the information to know which computer(s) is causing the problem and which program is the culprit.

0 Likes
VerizonCat

My Verizon Jetpack went from 0.529 GB of 3GB to 2.137 GB when I

was not using it.  Nor was anyone else using this computer.

I did find a Verizon Message on my Jetpack.  The message link is

http://verizonvzw.wireless.mmmmm.com/vvvvvvvvvvv

I attempted to find the mmmmm.com with GT-Whois.

The domain is registered in Queensland, Australia.

The message link resolved to https://bit.ly/xxxxxxx -- I don't

think any of this is a genuine Verizon message.

The message appears to have been injected by an intruder.

I have reason to believe that Verizon Jetpack has been hacked.

I will provide all details to an authorized Verizon Technical

Support Person who will provide an email address to which I

can send a secure message.

I am using the Jetpack on an excruciatingly slow Verizon network.

Thank you all in advance for your interest.

0 Likes