Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Activate Phone
WhaleXL

Why do I have to increase my data plan to replace an iPhone 4s with an iPhone5 and my existing family plan already has 2 iPhone 5’s and an iPhone 6?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Activate Phone
Weth
Sr. Leader

Yes, please answer above so we understand what plan you are on.

You do not have to increase your data when you change from smartphone to smartphone. However, you must keep an important caveat in mind. Upgrading from the 4S to the 5 is going from 3G to 4G LTE, which is 10 to 20 times faster. This means you will use more data as you will be able to view more pages per unit time, any audio or video will be downloaded in full even if you don't listen to all of it plus it will download in a higher quality that uses up to 10 to 20 times more data for the same video.

When it was looked at over all carriers over many customers, going from 3G to 4G generally increased data use on that line for 2 to 2.5 times what was being used before. You will need to consider this observation.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

In what context were you told you had to increase your data plan?

Are you currently on the More everything plan? Or the new Verizon plans? sm md lg xl?

WhaleXL

I still have an older Family Plan where each line (5 in my family) has it's own data (2g / month).  I tried to activate an iPhone 5 I got from a relative online and just before finishing activation the website said I had to upgrade my data plan.  Didn't make sense to me because 3 of the 5 phones already on the plane are iPhone 5's or better.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Yes, please answer above so we understand what plan you are on.

You do not have to increase your data when you change from smartphone to smartphone. However, you must keep an important caveat in mind. Upgrading from the 4S to the 5 is going from 3G to 4G LTE, which is 10 to 20 times faster. This means you will use more data as you will be able to view more pages per unit time, any audio or video will be downloaded in full even if you don't listen to all of it plus it will download in a higher quality that uses up to 10 to 20 times more data for the same video.

When it was looked at over all carriers over many customers, going from 3G to 4G generally increased data use on that line for 2 to 2.5 times what was being used before. You will need to consider this observation.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

When you say activate, are you trying to switch the iPhone 5 onto an already existing account that has another phone attached to it? Or are you trying to add a line?

Weth
Sr. Leader

Ahh, online, it will try to make you go to one of the new plans - which may or may not save you money. You should calculate it out at least. If any of your phones have unlimited data, then you do not want to do this.

You will need to talk to a CS to switch the line to a 5 and keep your same plan. You can still keep your same plan though.

Weth
Sr. Leader

I believe she or he is having problems since going from a 4S to a 5 a SIM card is needed. This will need to be sent or picked up at a store.

WhaleXL

It's an already existing line that has an iPhone 4s attached to it.

0 Likes
WhaleXL

The sim card is still in the 5.  I did get through that question while I was trying to activate it online.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

You may need a new one. Depends. Call CS or go into a store, and switch the line so your plan doesn't get changed. Check all the receipts carefully and immediately afterward check online to make sure things are in order.