Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I disable the LCD screen from displaying the Network Name or Password of my device?
bogeygolfer

Can I disable the LCD screen from displaying the Network Name or Password of my device?  I feel that having this information readily available to any who can turn on my device is a security flaw.

I have change the network name and password and would like to secure that information .

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Can I disable the LCD screen from displaying the Network Name or Password of my device?
bogeygolfer

Worked with VZW tech support and finally found where you can disable or mask  the display of the network name and password on the Jetpack LCD screen.  You need to access the admin screen of your jetpack (http://my.jetpack/) .  From there, navigate to Jetpack Settings --> Click on Wifi tab -- Click on the Wi-Fi Options link halfway down the page and it will show the two settings that control the display of network name and password.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...here are screen shots showing how to get to these settings. ...

2015-02-09_23-12-18.jpg

2015-02-09_23-05-31.jpg

The LCD display will show ********* for the network name and password if the two checkboxes above are unchecked. I really think these settings should be disabled to be begin with.

Oh well...posting here to share with those interested...

View solution in original post

Re: Can I disable the LCD screen from displaying the Network Name or Password of my device?
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Which device are you referring to?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bogeygolfer

This question is for the Jetpack® MiFi® 6620L

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

No.

You cannot modify the control panel of a Jetpack.  What is displayed can only be modified with future firmware updates.  I have wanted to disable other features on Jetpacks in the past but have been unsuccessful.

I wouldn't worry about disabling that feature on the control panel anyways.  If someone has physical access to your Jetpack they can always reset it to the defaults and get in with the default password even if the Jetpack wasn't showing it.  There is no counter to physical security in the network world, this is how admins get in and fix things.  You need to keep your devices out of malicious users hands or no amount of security will protect you.

bogeygolfer

Worked with VZW tech support and finally found where you can disable or mask  the display of the network name and password on the Jetpack LCD screen.  You need to access the admin screen of your jetpack (http://my.jetpack/) .  From there, navigate to Jetpack Settings --> Click on Wifi tab -- Click on the Wi-Fi Options link halfway down the page and it will show the two settings that control the display of network name and password.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...here are screen shots showing how to get to these settings. ...

2015-02-09_23-12-18.jpg

2015-02-09_23-05-31.jpg

The LCD display will show ********* for the network name and password if the two checkboxes above are unchecked. I really think these settings should be disabled to be begin with.

Oh well...posting here to share with those interested...

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Holy crap look at that.

Thank you for sharing.  Now that I know some Jetpacks have this feature I will be sure to spread the word.

0 Likes