Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Cisco 819 Plan and Configuration
CiscoGuy

Does anyone here have experience with the Cisco 819 LTE router and/or the equivalent EWIC? I am considering this as a backup Internet solution at home and also as a super mobile hotspot for my cabin.

I have a few questions:

1.) What is the process for getting service? My local Verizon store wasn't familiar with the device and couldn't answer my questions. I have a family plan and, if it is an option, I'd like to add it to my family plan just like any of the store-sold personal hotspots or fixed devices.

2.) How difficult was it to configure the device for work with the Verizon network? I have extensive Cisco configuration experience but LTE client configuration is new to me.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cisco 819 Plan and Configuration
MiiHere
Leader

I only glanced at this, but I did see it mentioned LTE configuration so it may be of use.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/deployment/guide/guide_c...

0 Likes
Re: Cisco 819 Plan and Configuration
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> 1.) What is the process for getting service?

You would need to activate a SIM card from a comparable VZW device.  For example a Verizon 4G LTE router.  After you have an activated SIM card it appears that you would simply install the SIM directly into the Cisco LTE router.  The Cisco LTE router has a built in/embedded LTE modem

> I'd like to add it to my family plan just like any of the store-sold personal hotspots or fixed devices.

You should be able to, but you need to register a new SIM card to something first.  After you get a valid SIM (make sure its the correct size for your Cisco device first!) then you should be good to go.

> 2.) How difficult was it to configure the device for work with the Verizon network?

Beats me, never tried this before.  Actually its my first time learning about a Cisco LTE router so thanks for sharing : )  Id bet you could figure it out though.  All that a normal LTE router would require is a valid SIM card.  The routers normally dial up and authenticate you automatically from there.

> Cisco configuration experience but LTE client configuration is new to me.

If the configuration is somehow not automatic I would doublecheck to make sure the Cisco LTE router is configured to connect to a VZW network.  Each ISP has a different band that they are allowed to use so your radios need to be tuned correctly to connect.  The Cisco LTE router appears to be compatible with both VZW and ATT.

0 Likes