Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Does the Directv Genie system use chargeable available data via my Jetpack?
Wanderer47

Our data is being used up and confused about sources responsible? Texting is not part of the data so besides our iPhone and laptops what else would use this data?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Does the Directv Genie system use chargeable available data via my Jetpack?
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Anything that is connected to the Jetpack could be using data.  Traditional SMS/Texting is not considered data but that wouldn't be going through the Jetpack anyways.  The only way you would rack up data from texting would be if you are using a texting app that sends messages over the internet and not via your phone number.

What you need to do is setup network usage or data monitors on the various devices that are connected to the Jetpack.  If its a PC or a phone then chances are you can rig up a monitor directly on that device.  If its a smart appliance like a TV, thermo or security system then you would need the assistance of a router that can run monitor software for you.  Monitors are only as good as the traffic that passes through them so you need to explore your options and setup traps to capture the traffic accordingly.

A good place to start on windows PCs is something called Glasswire.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nicholasbranson

You should be able to look at a list of connected devices on your jetpack display... or by going to http://my.jetpack on a connected laptop.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

It has been awhile since I have used Directv, but if I remember correctly it requires a broadband connection to work. If you are using the jetpack as your broadband connection it will be using your data allowance.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Anything that is connected to the Jetpack could be using data.  Traditional SMS/Texting is not considered data but that wouldn't be going through the Jetpack anyways.  The only way you would rack up data from texting would be if you are using a texting app that sends messages over the internet and not via your phone number.

What you need to do is setup network usage or data monitors on the various devices that are connected to the Jetpack.  If its a PC or a phone then chances are you can rig up a monitor directly on that device.  If its a smart appliance like a TV, thermo or security system then you would need the assistance of a router that can run monitor software for you.  Monitors are only as good as the traffic that passes through them so you need to explore your options and setup traps to capture the traffic accordingly.

A good place to start on windows PCs is something called Glasswire.

0 Likes