Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gift cards purchased online direct from Verizon are INVALID
LastDayz

Order placed: Oct 28, 2020

Purchased 5 $100 gift cards at Verizon.com while logged into my account.
Received package 11/2/20

On 11/7/20:

Checked all 5 $100 gift cards at Verizon.com, each showed INVALID

Checked 2 of them on Verizon’s gift card number 1.800.876.4141, also states again both of those are INVALID

Called 1.800.922.0204, automated system, it opened up option for digital chat in Safari browser, I switched to that, after some time I entered into live chat but person very slow to respond, seemed lost to help, ended up losing connection.

Called gift card phone number again, 1.800.876.4141, automated system, no way to reach a person to talk, it kept wanting me to agree again to open digital chat, I declined.

Logged into Verizon app, hit contact option, selected TEXT, a text conversation opened up on the phone,   had to wait awhile but eventually entered into live TEXT conversation, person very slow to respond between texts, told me to call gift card number (4141), I said no live reps at that number, went through this twice with this person, was then told to call (0204) number again, explained I had tried that too but ended up in digital chat, was told to call it again as they only deal with billing issues through text, not gift cards.

Called again 800.922.0204, automated, wanted me to go to digital chat several times, they really push this useless service, I had to hang up, call back and fight the automated system to figure out how to reach a person by phone, finally was able to be put on hold for a rep, after 33 minutes a rep answered, 13 minute call, unhelpful, rude, asked me who else had access to the cards that could have used them...?...I explained no one, package came sealed and I peeled back sticker for pin just today, plus it doesn’t state $0 balance, it states invalid, rep couldn’t help and told me to go into a store to present cards to prove I even have them in my possession, I asked to speak to a member of the leadership team as someone else put on a Verizon community page this exact same issue, the runaround with chats and calls and specifically that in person stores can’t help, this rep said going into the store was their protocol, appears I need to waste my time and expose myself to COVID to continue down this path where I have spent $500 on worthless little cardboard pieces. Some gift card, totally useless.

Looking through this community forum, there are many, many posts about gift cards showing invalid and numerous people out a significant amount of money. It would be justified to have a class action lawsuit.

The go to response from Verizon to call the designated gift card number is an insult since it will ONLY continually tell you your gift card is invalid and there is NO OPTION to speak on the phone to someone directly. 

There is the possibility of disputing this charge on my credit card as they’ve had my $500 since 10/28 and I’ve been given useless pieces of paper that no one at Verizon customer service will help me with resolving. So far I’ve just been passed around and even accused of possibly being shady. Verizon has had this ongoing problem for years and obviously could care less about correcting it on the front end or at least making it easier to correct once we’ve been suckered. 

If I purchased these cards through a third party I might not be surprised at having issues but to log into my Verizon account that I’ve had for years, make a purchase direct with Verizon then be sent invalid, worthless cards and be treated like this is repeatedly spitting in my face after you’ve scammed me. 

Giving gifts cards that have no value is immensely embarrassing.

I’m not under any contract with Verizon and this is definitely a reason to leave on principle.

Re: Gift cards purchased online direct from Verizon are INVALID
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

LastDayz, we understand the importance of ensuring you can claim the Verizon Wireless gift cards you purchased. I do see we recently sent you a private message to investigate the gift cards purchased. Can you please respond to our private message? 

0 Likes
LastDayz

I have given all of the information I can to Verizon and it is actually all information Verizon already had since I purchased these worthless gift cards direct from Verizon through my Verizon account. What else do you scammers need that I haven’t given? My blood type?

LastDayz

It’s almost a month and Verizon has done NOTHING to get my invalid gift cards cleared up. 
fudge YOU 

LastDayz

Verizon can take the time to remove profanity from frustrated customers yet can’t take the time to clear up the problem causing the frustration. Perfect!

I’ve answered numerous private messages providing information and ‘authenticating’ my account four times now. 

Today I ask to know on what exact date my ‘ticket’ was open for this issue because I’m gathering information to dispute the charge with my credit card and I get asked to explain my issue again. 

Verizon has $500 and I have worthless little squares that read gift cards yet have absolutely no value. 
My breaking point is just about here.
GIVE MY MONEY BACK!

Tags (1)
Piscestg

I strongly, and I mean STRONGLY suggest that you call your credit card and explain this fraud to them. They should be able to credit your account and back charge it to Verizon. 

Other than paying for my service (since 1993) I don't do any other business with Verizon.

When I bought an unlocked Apple Watch from Best Buy two months ago Verizon somehow put a $499 charge on my bill. It was a contract to pay them that listed the watch I had purchased. I paid it in full to Best Buy and other than swapping it on my account (changed my old watch), Verizon had nothing to do with it. I assume they thought I would be stupid enough to pay for it again. Such fraud!!!

It took me three long phone calls but I eventually got it fixed. I spent about three hours total. And of course the first two calls I was told that they couldn't see the charge on my bill. Yeah, right. I know better than that.

They're fine for cell service but anything else is ALWAYS a problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Is this an e-Gift Card, LastDayz? I'd be happy to try re-sending it if you'd like! Please respond to our Private Note to get started!

0 Likes
LastDayz

My post explains I ordered the gift cards direct from Verizon through my Verizon account and I received them in the mail. 
However all 5 of the $100 gift cards are invalid and worthless. 
It’s been a month now and I’m still holding 5 worthless little squares from Verizon. 
But if Verizon wants to actually provide me with something for the $500 I paid them then yes, I’d take e-gift cards.

0 Likes
zz25

I have the same problem, but with $800 dollars worth of cards.  I've gotten the same run-around from Verizon on the phone.  I've also experienced the same incompetence and bad attitude from some of the customer service people (I've talked to plenty of them!).  

I've been dealing with this for over a month.  Just looked all this up online and seen how many people have had this problem.  mistakes happen, but how can NO ONE know how to resolve this when you call????   I like the class action lawsuit idea!!!

LastDayz, did they ever get you e-gift cards or give you your money back? 

I'd like to know if the Verizon people in this Community thing will actually do anything !!!

LastDayz

Hi zz25,

This has been a problem for years and it is puzzling why Verizon won’t fix the issue as each scammed customer causes multiple employees of theirs to take a call, text chat or online chat and even in person visits when none of them end up helping you. It’s not a win for us or them. The only thing I can think of is some of us just give up (I know I thought about it) and Verizon makes $ for nothing. Can you imagine fighting for over a month for a $50 gift card? Lots just give up I’m sure. 

The most frustrating thing was repeatedly being told to use the worthless phone number on the back of the gift card. The nimrods saying that have never used it to try and get assistance. That number does nothing but lets you know your gift card is invalid and you can’t reach anyone directly that can help you. 

The key is getting someone to actually listen to you that wants to help you. The problem is it takes as you know a ton of your time and building frustration until you reach that person.

I spoke to someone who said they started a ticket for me and it would be 3-5 days to resolve and they’d call me back when it’s done. I never heard from them even after I sent two follow up emails up to 2.5 weeks later. They never did return contact. 

I then spoke to someone else that started a ticket through a different channel and it took about a week and half for my cards to finally show they were valid and had $ on them. I wasn’t notified by that department, I just did random checks of a card or two every day until they finally worked. 

My total time with invalid gift cards was end of October to beginning of December. The hours spent I couldn’t tell you. 

I’m sorry I can’t give you a better answer of what to do. It’s just finding someone who understands (smart enough to really see the issue and what you are going through) and that really wants to help you. As far as I can tell it is a unicorn amongst the rest of their customer service personnel. 

I can say I cancelled my monthly auto payment for my cell service and my plan was to go into a VZ store and hand them the gift cards stating I want to pay my December bill. They’d have to deal with me in person. But the cards were activated before it came to that. 

Good luck and I know you are frustrated. You are not alone. Many of us were scammed buying Verizon gift cards directly from Verizon. 

0 Likes