Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Home Wi-Fi forgets information
Dunkeridoo

Excuse me for replying here, but I wasn't able to make a thread. For the second month in a row, my phone has decided to *forget* my home WIFI information, and as a result my data is being eaten up. This is a new problem that started just about when Verizon began pestering me to buy a new phone, and I suspect that they are engaged in a nefarious plot to encourage me to buy a new phone, ask for more data, or go over my data and charge me a fine. I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue, and I would appreciate it if you would reimburse me my data as I'm already at 75% and have to make it until the 5th.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Home Wi-Fi forgets information
Weth
Sr. Leader

No evil plot. We could start with what phone you have and why wifi info is being reset. I do not see data reimbursement for you since it is your phone using the data.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Dunkeridoo, extra charges add up quickly and they are certainly not something we want you experiencing. What type of phone do you have? Have you downloaded any new apps, games or software? What happens when you attempt to connect to that home wi-fi? Please share some details so we may get to the bottom of this.
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dunkeridoo

I have a Galaxy S3, have very few apps and nothing new to account for the change in the behavior of my phone, and in answer to your third question it connects just fine. The issue is that it is "disconnecting" from my wifi without my authorization, and I'm not noticing until receipt of data usage alerts. My phone has never had trouble maintaining access to my wifi, which is functioning fine for my other devices, and I rarely take it away from home. My suspicion is that Verizon would like me to have a larger data plan (I don't need one-I don't use it consciously or with deliberation), a newer phone, or the charges that will inevitably show up on my phone bill once my data has been pushed over the limit. Forgive my thinking the worst, but your company doesn't exactly have a reputation of swimming against the tide of unethical behavior born of financial interests. On the contrary, you are known for some of the most ruthless tactics in such endeavors.

In other news, I had to change my billing information as my old debit card expired, and elected to pay directly from my bank. Those charges are going through, but you guys are still trying to charge my expired card as well and I'm constantly getting both acknowledgements that my bill has been paid and warnings that you couldn't process my payment information. I realize that you have many customers and are juggling complicated systems, but I'm also aware of your reputation for the ruthless victimization of our population.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Dunkeridoo,

We can relate to how important it is to get the data usage under control. Additionally, Wifi is our favorite way to help conserve your plan data.

Let's look into a setting that may be causing you to automatically switch to cellular data, and be sure it's not enabled. Here's a link that will help out: http://vz.to/1L9yUxI. Please keep us in the loop to see if this does the trick.

Additionally to address your concern with the cards that have expired, simply use the link provided, sign into your online account, go to the pay bill option, then you are able to delete any save cards. http://vz.to/1hp5i5F.

KatiM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dunkeridoo

With whom can you "relate to how important it is to get the data usage under control"? Are you under the impression that I regard data usage as being important, and that I'm at fault for failing to prevent my phone from ceasing to function properly in keeping me connected to my WIFI as it always had, and that the circumstances of my phone's new behavior only happen to have the potential to hurt me and benefit your company financially?

I followed the link, and discovered that "Auto Switch" is NOT checked, nor has it been. I went to "Data usage" and unchecked "Mobile Data", will this protect me from Verizon trying to victimize me or my phone from just happening to decide to engage in this behavior all on its own?

Thank you for the advice regarding card deletion, I went ahead and did so, and when I checked my history discovered that my most recent payment went through on the 1st, then on the 7th there occurred a "Reversed Checking Account" bafflement. What is a "reversed checking account", who authorizes it, and why? I have no trouble using that account elsewhere.....

If you are suggesting that I am at fault here, please overtly assert as much, tell me why my phone has decided to start disconnecting from and forgetting my WIFI information, and that I've brought this on myself by negligence.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

The phone has a setting wrong or is malfunctioning.  You own the phone. You are responsible for what the phone does.  It is not your fault and you are not negligent.  Neither is Verizon conspiring by causing your phone to use more data in an attempt to have you upgrade.  It is a technical problem with your phone, simple as that. 

Now can we focus on the technical problems of the phone?

0 Likes
Dunkeridoo

I am responsible for my own actions, and understand the function of payment as:

1.Compensation, discharge or performance of an obligation, or reimbursement, by giving over something that is of satisfactory value to its recipient, such as money.

To pay Verizon currently is to suggest that they are being compensated for the value of the service, which would artificially inflate the utility of my phone using data when it doesn't need to. Verizon shouldn't need to go through the agony of affording me those unwanted mobile data units any more than I should go through the agony of paying for them. Now I have no interest in burning through mobile data in my apartment while I'm asleep, and will be happy to give all that data right back, and willing to keep Verizon informed of the mal/function of the device, as sold to me by them, which is used to access their service. What I mean is, if no one is at fault, then "reimbursement" in the form of payment is not appropriate.

So, now, I accept your invitation to focus on the alleged technical problems of the phone, and direct you to the post preceding your contribution:

"I followed the link, and discovered that "Auto Switch" is NOT checked, nor has it been. I went to "Data usage" and unchecked "Mobile Data", will this protect me from Verizon trying to victimize me or my phone from just happening to decide to engage in this behavior all on its own?

Thank you for the advice regarding card deletion, I went ahead and did so, and when I checked my history discovered that my most recent payment went through on the 1st, then on the 7th there occurred a "Reversed Checking Account" bafflement. What is a "reversed checking account", who authorizes it, and why? I have no trouble using that bank account elsewhere....."

If there did exist a pattern of nefarious intentions, it would look something like a phone deciding for itself to engage in expensive activity and manipulation of payment activity in order to induce late fees while distancing oneself and one's victim from responsibility, but still expecting to financially gain. Weth, are you in a position to dismiss me from fault on this, and will that admission be useful to me if legal help is required? I'm not trying to scam anyone here, I'm not interested in being scammed, and the reality is that when businesses entities do engage in predatory behavior they have a tendency to deny it. Such is the world in which we live.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Dunkeridoo,

We're  saddened to hear you are under the impression that we are in any way placing blame. We are here as your advocates and to assist you with the concerns you bring to our attention.

By unchecking Mobile Data, your device will only connect to the internet via Wifi, and will not use your cellular data at all. As long as you are connected to a Wifi network you'll still be able to enjoy the internet, and your device's data capabilities. At the same time, this will give us an idea as to how frequently your device is dropping the Wifi connection. Have you noticed any patterns? Is this in a certain section of the building you are in? Did this begin after downloading any new applications to the device? Any additional details will help us out.

In regards to the reversed checking account, we've sent you a private message in your inbox.

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

OK, end of any attempt to help if you just circle back to conspiracy theories and victim complex. 

oh well, had a few things to try.  Hint, it may not be your phone or Verizon.  Good luck stewing about your problem rather than trying to figure it out.