Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hot spot on mifi vs on Galaxy S5?
DavePinMInn

We started out with a Mifi for data access.  Later we moved our phones to Verizon and have a pair of Galaxy S5s.

We still use the mifi for most data, but I"m curious whether there's any appreciable difference between using that for our wireless data and using one or both of the GS5s?  Faster?  More capable?  Better reach? Anything that would make it worth continuing to pay $20/month just to have it?

I ask because in the not too distant future the Mifi will reach the end of the 2-year commitment, and if it ISN'T significantly better than using one of the Galaxy's I'll dump it when it's done...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Hot spot on mifi vs on Galaxy S5?
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

If you are satisfied with the data plans on your smartphones then there is no reason for the Jetpack.  Jetpacks only provide value when you have devices that do not come with their own internet connections like normal PCs and other personal devices.

Jetpacks do not have any advantages over smartphones, especially if the phone has a hotspot feature.  In fact if you are using a jetpack primarily to connect a smartphone to the internet you are actually adding in additional overhead of converting the cellular signal to WiFi and back.  A smartphone directly connected to the VZW network will perform better than one that goes through a jetpack first.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bizzareone

The main perk of using the mifi over the hotspot is that your not running through the battery on the Galaxy.

Is the mifi any better or faster? probably not

I would only recomend using a mifi/jetpack if you are in an area where that is your only internet access and do not have a 4G smartphone or if you travel a lot.

Once the mifi is out of contract, dump it and use the hotspot on the S5.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

If you are satisfied with the data plans on your smartphones then there is no reason for the Jetpack.  Jetpacks only provide value when you have devices that do not come with their own internet connections like normal PCs and other personal devices.

Jetpacks do not have any advantages over smartphones, especially if the phone has a hotspot feature.  In fact if you are using a jetpack primarily to connect a smartphone to the internet you are actually adding in additional overhead of converting the cellular signal to WiFi and back.  A smartphone directly connected to the VZW network will perform better than one that goes through a jetpack first.

0 Likes
DavePinMInn

Thanks for the replies.  I'll have to see how soon I can get rid of the Mifi 'cause if it's not going to do anything special I can't see giving Verizon any MORE money...

It was an experiment moving here from T-mobile to see if we'd have a GOOD signal when on the road, and so far it's worked.  But, if AT&T or Sprint or T-Mobile can get me a RELIABLY strong signal for phone and high speed data when I'm in the Badlands, or 50 miles from the nearest town in the bayous of Louisiana, or at monument valley in Utah, or Springdale at Zion, or in West Glacier, or even a place as close as Grand Marais, MN, or ANY of the places we traveled when we had T-Mobile and never had a signal, I'd switch 'cause they're a lot less expensive and their data plans are a lot more liberal.

But, these days, if I can't stay connected so I can take care of my clients and get to the Internet, I can't go places and goof off.  So, for the moment I'm paying the premium 'cause it's APPEARS to be the best available option.  But, I'll definitely take the Mifi off when I can.

0 Likes