Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
How do I protect myself against hacking?
LongTimer

Not a geek, for sure.  I want to use my Verizon 4G Modem with Voice for internet access.  My home network contains personal data for myself and others and I want to do a home business which will increase traffic outside contact.  I believe I am not a high priority for hackers but what are the hacker security protections with this modem and Verizon Wireless?  I have always maintained good malware security software and procedures on every network device both wired and wireless.  Is that enough?  Should I add something to the modem to make it?  Is this even a valid question?  Thanks for helping a novice.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: 4G Modem Hack Security
7e18n1

Do the usual stuff; make backups on a regular basis and practice safe hex. Install, keep updated and use antimalware products that include 1 antivirus and 1 or 2 antispyware programs. If using Windows 7 to 10, the default firewall and its default settings are fine.

Router: turn off UPNP and WPS. Leave the firewall on with its default settings. Enable VPN  Pass Through.  Wi-Fi: use WPA2/AES with a high entropy PSK (Wi-Fi Password).

> I want to do a home business which will increase traffic outside contact.

VzW has you behind their firewall, there won't be any unsolicited inbound internet traffic.

View solution in original post

Re: 4G Modem Hack Security
7e18n1

Do the usual stuff; make backups on a regular basis and practice safe hex. Install, keep updated and use antimalware products that include 1 antivirus and 1 or 2 antispyware programs. If using Windows 7 to 10, the default firewall and its default settings are fine.

Router: turn off UPNP and WPS. Leave the firewall on with its default settings. Enable VPN  Pass Through.  Wi-Fi: use WPA2/AES with a high entropy PSK (Wi-Fi Password).

> I want to do a home business which will increase traffic outside contact.

VzW has you behind their firewall, there won't be any unsolicited inbound internet traffic.