Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I notice that most external 4G antennas require registration with the 4G provider. Why is this? Can we test an antenna before registering?
Mel9c

I notice that most external 4G antennas require registration with the 4G provider. Why is this? Can we test an antenna before registering?@

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: I notice that most external 4G antennas require registration with the 4G provider. Why is this? Can we test an antenna before registering?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I want to make sure that your calfs are safe Mel9c. I would recommend contacting your camera manufacturer to look into this for you. Each set up can connect to our network differently. I am glad your phones are working fine.
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I notice that most external 4G antennas require registration with the 4G provider. Why is this? Can we test an antenna before registering?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I want to help as much as I can Mel9c. What phone do you have that is not working with our network? Please provide details
AmberF_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mel9c

Amber

The Verizon phones work fine. I am asking this question for a remote camera installation in Illinois that uses 4G to connect to the internet. Signal strength now is in the -105 dB range, and occasionally it drops lower and locks itself out, requiring a restart of the Novatel T1114 4G LTE router ..... This is a problem as the router is 20 miles from the camera user.... He intends to monitor his cows during calving season (January-February) at least three times a night.... If the signal drops out then he has to bundle up, drive 20 miles and reset it... otherwise he might lose a newborn calf to the cold weather....

So we are looking at simple antennas that would provide 3-5 dB of signal boost to increase reliability of the connection

Mel9c

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

I notice that most external 4G antennas require registration with the 4G provider. Why is this? Can we test an antenna before registering?

created by Verizon Wireless Customer Support in Additional Products - View the full discussion

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I want to make sure that your calfs are safe Mel9c. I would recommend contacting your camera manufacturer to look into this for you. Each set up can connect to our network differently. I am glad your phones are working fine.
AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Wardwam

I have Ellipsis 8 Tablet maybe 4 months old. I left tablet on power at 36% came back and it was turned off. I turned it back and it wont stop rebooting. I tried soft reset that did not fix it. I tried cache wipe did not work, i tried factory reset multiple times that did not work. I let battery drain completely recharged it and still stuck in reboot loop. Tablet turns on completely goes to lock screen and stays on all of 10 seconds before it shuts down completely. I can unlock it screen is responsive while on but it wont stay on for more than 8-10 seconds. What do i do, im only account manager on family plan and dont want to bother my parents on vacation with this issue but i need my tablet. Pls help me

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello Wardwam!

So sorry to learn of the issue with your Ellipsis 8 tablet. Thanks for taking the time to try some troubleshooting steps. Is this the first time this has happened? When it started, had you downloaded any applications in this same time frame? Please try plugging it into a charger and see if that helps. Keep us posted!

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
Wardwam

I havent downloaded any new apps in last 4-5 days but my game of war app has shut down multiple times. Last new app was vlc plc player. But tablet worked fine until last night around 8pm central time

0 Likes
7e18n1

> I notice that most external 4G antennas require registration with the 4G provider. Why is this? Can we test an antenna before registering?

A signal booster (RF power amplifier) for a cellular network must comply with FCC regulations. By requiring registration Verizon can help ensure all transmitters are operating within FCC limits.

It sounds like LTE Internet (Installed) is a better option for you.

It seems to me if you’re testing a signal booster it is because you bought it. Wouldn’t that mean you are committed and you might as well use it?

0 Likes
Mel9c

Wow

The 4G LTE Internet option looks like a simple answer, with more data and lower cost than the 4G plan our cow farmer purchased... funny that it wasn't mentioned when he signed up for 4G... the web site says it is available at the barn location

An external antenna is on the way, but unlike a signal booster there is no pre-amp no post-amp in it... merely a simple ground plane vertical that can be installed in the clear outside the barn...

The barn is in the center of a wind farm.... and there are at least 6 wind generators in line between the barn and the Verizon tower.... when the wind is from the right direction, the signal connection is lost ... theory is excessive multipathing caused by the blades turning.... even MIMO may not be that good

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Are there no landline internet service options available in the area? I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth is the minimum requirements for a remote camera, but with the minimum amount of data usage a slower DSL line might be functional and more cost effective. With the wind farms nearby, I wouldn't be surprised if their owners use a remote monitoring system that requires a more robust Internet connection and better infrastructure that you could take advantage of.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes