Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IP address already exists in HomeFusion Broadband Router's database
wtfranklin
Novice

I'm using Home Fusion w/ a Technicolor TG790 router.

Re-setting up a couple of IP cameras that stopped working (don't know why). I'm trying to use the same IP address so I don't have to reconfigure the software that I'm using them with.

1) They're in the arp table but there's no way of deleting them as there's no icon for that.

2) They're not in the DHCP Connections list

3) I deleted them from the DNS Server - hoping this is what the error message was refering to

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: IP address already exists in HomeFusion Broadband Router's database
7e18n1

You’re welcome!

> Yes, I DID find a way to do that thru the software that came with the camera. You MUST connect the ethernet cable to allow the camera to initially be seen on the network. Once it's "discovered", you log into it with a web interface and can assign it a different IP. This is also where you can type in the SSID and password that allows it to be connected wirelessly.

Good, sounds like you got it!  Customizing a network can take a bit of effort! The best advice is to write it all down (or use Word or similar software) for the next time something fails.

> OK, I never reset the router, I re-booted it. If I do reset it, everything I've already set up is lost right? Password? The port forwarding I set up so I can see the cameras from the internet? Will I need to set that up again? Do I lose all the static IP addresses I've already set up? I'm assuming so.

YES, on Reset you need to reconfigure the router’s admin password, SSID, and Wi-Fi Password, as well as port forwards and IP address reservations. Advanced users tend to go through each parameter in a router and configure it the way they want it.

As for real static IP addresses, no! Not unless you reset the network devices programmed with a static IP address. If the router defaults to DHCP 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 and you manually configured each network device with IP addresses of 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.250, none of those IP addresses change when you reset the router. All of them will work after you reset the router.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> They're in the arp table but there's no way of deleting them as there's no icon for that.

ARP can be cleaned up from a command line with ARP -D <IP>.  Otherwise you can reboot your machine and the ARP table should repopulate as necessary.  Unless you clean up the connections on the router pr device then the ARP table will regenerate the same addresses as before.

>They're not in the DHCP Connections list

Then the devices are configured to static IPs.  You will have to reset the IP Cameras so that they go back to the default DHCP.  There should be some kind of restore default button on the camera to facilitate the reset for you.  Once they are reset then reconfigure them to the IP address that you want and rerun your IP camera installation software to find them.

>  I deleted them from the DNS Server - hoping this is what the error message was refering to

DNS only converts IP addresses to hostnames and vice versa.  Removing something from DNS does not change the network connectivity of those devices.  For example when you ping an IP address (like another network machine) then DNS is not involved.  To create, update or remove devices you need to configure the home router and the devices themselves.

wtfranklin
Novice

Thanks for the explanation.

> Otherwise you can reboot your machine and the ARP table should repopulate as necessary.

Do you mean boot the router?

Also, under HBR Advanced Settings, IP Address Distribution, Connection List, ALL my DHCP connections are listed. At the bottom is a link to add STATIC addresses. I'm wondering what a "static" DHCP address is. Does this mean that address will ALWAYS be assigned to that device, even after rebooting?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

0 Likes
7e18n1

> Re-setting up a couple of IP cameras that stopped working (don't know why).

As with network printers, any network device that is referenced by its IP address by any other network device, that IP address is subject to change if it was assigned by a DHCP Server. For this reason such network devices need to use a fixed or static IP address that will not change. 

> At the bottom is a link to add STATIC addresses.

What happens if you click the link?

Are you asked to provide an IP address and MAC address?

If YES then this may be exactly what you need. First, obtain the MAC addresses of the cameras and then click the link to give each MAC address a unique DHCP IP address. This way, the DHCP Server will always assign that IP address to that MAC address. You will have to redo this configuration whenever you Reset the router.

If NO then tell us what happens when you click the link. Also, tell us what brand and model cameras so we can pull the manual to offer further guidance to manually configure the cameras with a static IP address (this is the preferred method but it’s a bit more complicated).

wtfranklin
Novice

>This way, the DHCP Server will always assign that IP address to that MAC address.

That's what I thought. I have the DHCP range set from 192.168.1.31 - 192.168.1.253, so I'd have a small range for static addresses. I can set these from, say, a PC by changing the NIC's configuration - which is something I can't do on a camera. What had me confused was a "STATIC" DHCP address. I always associate DCHP with "DYNAMIC". Thanks for the clarification.

One last thing. On the opening router page, It shows "MY Network". This is 5 1/2 pages long and has EVERY IP address ever assigned, including my nieces'/nephews' PCs/tablets/phones - some who last visited 5 years ago. Any way of cleaning that up?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
wtfranklin
Novice

I tried to edit my earlier response but kept getting a "timed out" error.

> Are you asked to provide an IP address and MAC address?

Yes, but when I used 192.168.1.11 (which is in my range for STATIC addresses) I got an "out of range" error. As I said, I associate DHCP with DYNAMIC.

0 Likes
7e18n1

> That's what I thought. I have the DHCP range set from 192.168.1.31 - 192.168.1.253, so I'd have

> > Are you asked to provide an IP address and MAC address?

> Yes, but when I used 192.168.1.11 (which is in my range for STATIC addresses) I got an "out of range" error. As I said, I associate DHCP with DYNAMIC.

YES, the D means Dynamic as in “subject to change.”  I suspected the device has Verizon psychology applied and you proved it so. That link doesn’t set a “static” IP address, it allows you to reserve DHCP IP addresses by MAC address—you can make those IP addresses any IP address in the DHCP pool (x.x.x.31 to x.x.x.253). When you try to assign it x.x.x.11, that is outside of the DHCP pool’s range, hence the error. 

Real static assignments are not configured in the router, they are manually configured in the target network device (IP camera). Such IP addresses should be outside of the DHCP range so they do not conflict with the DHCP Server. Are you able to manually assign the camera an IP address? This is the preferred method, but it’s not as easy as using reserved IP addresses.

> One last thing. On the opening router page, It shows "MY Network". This is 5 1/2 pages long and has EVERY IP address ever assigned, including my nieces'/nephews' PCs/tablets/phones - some who last visited 5 years ago. Any way of cleaning that up?

This is AFTER you reset the router?  Reset should clean this up!

wtfranklin
Novice

Thanks again for responding.

> Are you able to manually assign the camera an IP address? This is the preferred method, but it’s not as easy as using reserved IP addresses.

Yes, I DID find a way to do that thru the software that came with the camera. You MUST connect the ethernet cable to allow the camera to initially be seen on the network. Once it's "discovered", you log into it with a web interface and can assign it a different IP. This is also where you can type in the SSID and password that allows it to be connected wirelessly.

> This is AFTER you reset the router?  Reset should clean this up!

OK, I never reset the router, I re-booted it. If I do reset it, everything I've already set up is lost right? Password? The port forwarding I set up so I can see the cameras from the internet? Will I need to set that up again? Do I lose all the static IP addresses I've already set up? I'm assuming so.

I've learned a lot from this thread. Thanks so much!

7e18n1

You’re welcome!

> Yes, I DID find a way to do that thru the software that came with the camera. You MUST connect the ethernet cable to allow the camera to initially be seen on the network. Once it's "discovered", you log into it with a web interface and can assign it a different IP. This is also where you can type in the SSID and password that allows it to be connected wirelessly.

Good, sounds like you got it!  Customizing a network can take a bit of effort! The best advice is to write it all down (or use Word or similar software) for the next time something fails.

> OK, I never reset the router, I re-booted it. If I do reset it, everything I've already set up is lost right? Password? The port forwarding I set up so I can see the cameras from the internet? Will I need to set that up again? Do I lose all the static IP addresses I've already set up? I'm assuming so.

YES, on Reset you need to reconfigure the router’s admin password, SSID, and Wi-Fi Password, as well as port forwards and IP address reservations. Advanced users tend to go through each parameter in a router and configure it the way they want it.

As for real static IP addresses, no! Not unless you reset the network devices programmed with a static IP address. If the router defaults to DHCP 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 and you manually configured each network device with IP addresses of 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.250, none of those IP addresses change when you reset the router. All of them will work after you reset the router.

View solution in original post

wtfranklin
Novice

Alright, I'm set to go!

Thanks for your time and trouble. I have a much better understanding of how it all comes together.

Off to plan my stategy Smiley Happy