Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Intermittent VPN (PPTP) connectivity using Ellipsis Jetpack 4G LTE
bagman011

I'm having and issue with a very basic PPTP (Win 7 Network Adapter) connection over an Ellipsis Jetpack 4G LTE w/VPN Passthrough enabled, to a Watchguard XTM2 Device.  It will connect, but then, almost at random it won't allow a connection over PPTP or IPSec. 

• The user can connect via his phone (via Verizon Mobile Hotspot) and home WiFi with no issues, but only randomly from the Jetpack.
  • We have tested the VPN via PPTP and IPSec from a variety of devices running Win7 and 10... we know it works.

Is there a client setting or server side setting we can use?  I think we've isolated the issue to the Jetpack... now we would like to know if there's a workaround.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Intermittent VPN (PPTP) connectivity using Ellipsis Jetpack 4G LTE
bagman011

OK... I went in and enabled port filtering (it was turned off) and set the following Custom Applications:

PPTP 1723 TCP

L2TP 500 UDP

L2TP 5500 UDP

L2TP 1701 UDP

RDP 3389 TCP

RDP 3389 UDP

The PPTP and IPSec VPNs are connecting... for now.  The worst thing about this is that it's an intermittent issue with the customer.  I'm going to have them test it out and get back to us.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

bagman011,

Thanks for getting in touch with us on the forums. Sorry to hear about the trouble with the device. Let's see if we can get it working. I know how important staying connected is. Was it working at some point and then stopped, or is this a new setup for the user? Have you tried hard resetting the device already?

EricW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
7e18n1

Try this, login to the Jetpack’s web interface, disable IPv6 (see page 33 in the User Guide) and restart the Jetpack.

bagman011

Hmm... no, I don't think we've disabled IPv6.  I'll connect over and un-check the box.  Can't hurt to try.

Thanks!

bagman011

Hi EricW_VZW,

This device (Jetpack) has always had intermittent problems with the VPN, the normal internet/HTTP connection is fine.  It has been hard reset at least twice and it's about a year old.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for these details, bagman011. We all know how important it is to stay connected, the steps performed up to now are pointing towards a compatibility issue between the device and the VPN. Let’s be sure to leave no stone unturned.  We’d like to verify that the Jetpack is up-to-date with the latest firmware.  Here is how to check for and complete one if needed: http://spr.ly/6588BMUOk

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bagman011

Hi DavidH_VZW,

We're up to date:

System software version

R700G.VZ.26.1008

Firmware version

0 Likes
bagman011

OK.. I just checked and IPv6 is off.

bagman011

OK... I went in and enabled port filtering (it was turned off) and set the following Custom Applications:

PPTP 1723 TCP

L2TP 500 UDP

L2TP 5500 UDP

L2TP 1701 UDP

RDP 3389 TCP

RDP 3389 UDP

The PPTP and IPSec VPNs are connecting... for now.  The worst thing about this is that it's an intermittent issue with the customer.  I'm going to have them test it out and get back to us.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Intermittent VPN (PPTP) connectivity using Ellipsis Jetpack 4G LTE
7e18n1

Does Jetpack > About show this Jetpack has a reserved IP address?

Are you trying to use Remote Desktop to access a computer connected to the Jetpack?

0 Likes