Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is LTE Home Internet worth it? Does it actually exist?
MOShreck75

I was excited in July when Verizon announced LTE Home Internet service for rural customers (https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-home-internet-rural-areas), especially since we live near one of the initial test areas, Springfield, MO.

From the Verizon hype videoFrom the Verizon hype video

My excitement faded once I checked availability and it wasn't available yet for us. I waited several weeks and checked again, but it was still not available. I chatted with a rep online and they said it was still being worked on, so I waited.

Then, in October, I see an announcement that the service was being expanded to 48 states (https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-expands-lte-home-internet-more-rural-areas)!! But, once again, my excitement was gone when I found out it's still not available. Last week, I chatted with another rep who had no new info on when it would be available. "Currently, we're still working on some progress to get wider coverage area." They could only suggest I check out the service support page and the community site, so, here I am.

What makes no sense to me is, I'm in the coverage are, I currently use Verizon hotspots which connect to the Verizon towers for my internet service, but the service is not available. 

I'm in the coverage areaI'm in the coverage area

First, I want to say to the Verizon marketing team, you might want to think twice about overcommitting in the language (and visuals) of your hype videos. Second, to the customer service team, if the availability issues are due to supply and demand or lack of hardware, tell your customers. If it's due to service infrastructure problems, tell your customers. Be transparent. A timeline of availability or schedule of when more areas will get the service would be nice. Ambiguity doesn't help.

For those who have this service, is t worth it? Does it live up to the hype? Does it actually exist?

Re: Is LTE Home Internet worth it? Does it actually exist?
Tigerstep

Between July and October you could have moved somewhere that cared about infrastructure. Ultimately these things fall on your local government, not your cell phone carrier.

0 Likes
MOShreck75

Thanks, but this is not helpful.

Please explain how this has anything to do with infrastructure. Do you know what the LTE Home Internet service is? This is not Fios, it's not a wired service, it uses the Verizon cell tower system. As I stated, I live in the serviceable area according to the hype video and Verizons own service map. I currently use Verizon for my cell service and hotspots, which the LTE Home Internet service uses.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Our valued customer's feedback is always appreciated. Verizon is excited to offer LTE Home Internet service to our customers and it is true that we're working to offer it in more areas. We also want to ensure that our customers are kept in the loop about our latest products and services (e.g., LTE Home Internet availability, etc.,). We recommend registering for email alerts at http://spr.ly/6604Hnfs6. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
jwditt

I'm paying for my father's Verizon connection.  First installed in 2015 and my handwritten notes identify the service as "LTE Internet".  Verizon hotspots and smartphones showed 2 out of 5 bar signal strength at his home.  The large cantenna on the side of the house shows 5 out of 5 bar signal strength.  One can regularly download 10Mb/s.  You can burn through the 10GB/month cap on what Verizon now calls "Single Connected Home - Installed 10 GB" with 5G Nationwide / 4G LTE premium data very, very fast.  Just do a Microsoft Win10 update and see what is left!

The service quit working once since 2015 and Verizon dispatched a technician who replaced the router and cantenna pretty quickly.  Service functionality has been solid otherwise.

A year or two ago the Verizon account page had a link that allowed me to get a newer router.  I don't remember exactly what the deal was but I seem to remember I would pay more per month and have a lower data limit before the "addition data $10/GB" would apply.  No thanks.

Let me turn back to you and your situation.  The Verizon YouTube video you linked doesn't show an outdoor antenna.  I wonder how much is different between 2015's and 2021's "LTE Home Internet"?  Obviously a stupendous difference is "With LTE Home Internet you can expect typical download speeds of 25 Mbps with no data usage caps."  The heading Verizon put on the page is "Have questions?  We've got answers."  What?  Where are these answers?  I have to chat or call?  Why?  I skimmed the FAQ already and now I'm searching through Community.

I don't see a mention of a throttle threshold for LTE Home Internet which applies to some Verizon plans.  You can easily find posts in the Community showing this as a source of consternation on those plans.

I clicked the link to try to sign up for LTE Home Internet.  It said it isn't available in my area.  I guess I am in the same boat as MOSchreck75 in that a deeper study of philosophy is necessary to understand what Verizon means by availability.

If I am charitable I can guess that Verizon is looking up my billing address for a judgement on what is possible at the service address.  The addresses are 2 states apart.

If you have no other fiber or wired internet service possible then 2021's LTE Home Internet would absolutely be worth it if there is no throttling.  My guess is that there isn't since Verizon advocates "... you can stream video at 1080p, plus you can enjoy unlimited data with no data caps."  It would be unforgivable to advocate that if throttling kicks in at some point below 1TB/month.  (Yes 1 terabyte / month)

Other Community posts show other 4G provider options so you could shop around.  I personally would look into them.  My father is not technically savvy so those options are out for him.  I have yet to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to go to his home and deal with it.

It is kind of wild that a good place to find non-Verizon providers is the Verizon Community.  (Search for "unlimited' and "LTE".  Pay attention to the post dates since information from 2017 isn't so useful now.)

As you weigh your options keep in mind that this Verizon LTE Internet customer since 2015 is being told by the web site that the LTE Internet Home isn't available.  It feels bad.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to clarify these situations regarding the home internet options that we offer, we'll be glad to clarify. In this case, we do have a couple of options one being the cantenna service that you mentioned you currently have for your father. Recently, we did launch a new LTE Home internet option that is available in select areas. You can find more information here: http://spr.ly/6603HUxCf

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes
txtravwill

Same issue here.  Lont time Verizon customer and check and check to see if our new home location which is only slightly 'rural' could support LTE home internet.  It is never available, displite all this expansion publicity mentioned.  Great signal on phones at the new place, fast connections, but can't get LTE interenet for home which terrible.

It'll likely end in switching everything away from Verizon.

Call the stores and customer service and even worse.  They take it as 5G service and say its not available, don't even know about the LTE product at times, etc.  

Funny as we are practically begging for Verizon to take more $$$ from us to remain customers but they don't support it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We would never want to see you leave our family. This is not the experience we want for you. Please know we are working hard to expand our network, for all services, as fast as we can. We want to keep you connected, and we want you to be happy customer. I will certainly make sure your feedback is lifted up to management. We have a simple way to stay informed of the latest news. Just register here: https://forms.verizonwireless.com/dgf/optin/2012/08282012_general_optin/

Then, you will know the latest as to what is happening with Verizon.

0 Likes