Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is there a network extender for lte yet?
jrustad

I am having a terrible time trying to get my lte to work with my current extender.  I had to turn off lte voice to get it to work and only go with lte data.  This is NOT an optimal solution, I don't want to have to reset my voice to lte everytime I leave the house!  Please advise...is there a network extender I can get for lte?  I get little to no signal for Verizon LTE and 3g at my house.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there a network extender for lte yet?
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

For speculation see the following article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473138,00.asp

Nothing official has been released so far.  Current Network Extenders are 3G only.

0 Likes
cjones1130

Two weeks ago I called in to inquire about it and was told "soon", I talked to a rep again Tuesday and they said hype and interest had intensified but they still did not have a release date, he also told me to expect it "soon". So since soon is relative term it could be in a minute or in a year

My guess is in April.

0 Likes
smith6612

They exist.

Wilson 460103 DB Pro 4G Yagi Amplifier Kit | +65dB Gain

Yes, they are NOT cheap. That's what happens when gear is designed to operate on licensed frequencies. The unit above will simply pick up the signal that is available at your home, and repeat it. It should support one of Verizon's LTE bands (700Mhz C Block/Band 13, XLTE/AWS not supported) in addition to the spectrum Verizon uses for CDMA/EVDO. Much better than the Network Extenders sold, although not as easy to set up.

0 Likes
cjones1130

This is an amplifier, not a microcell. If you're in a dead zone the amplifier won't do much for you....

0 Likes
cjones1130

Femtocell*

0 Likes
smith6612

I was suggesting an outdoor mounting solution for this. If you are able to get signal outside, using a directional setup can help to score an LTE signal and a 3G signal amongst others.

0 Likes
cjones1130

True, though if the user has no service outside a booster won't resolve their issue. Hopefully the 4G Extender will be released this month.

0 Likes
shawn_

NRB000008140464

It would appear there may now be an LTE extender.  I think I have a neighbor with one, so I have no details other than I cannot prevent my phone from connecting to it.

I have a 3g extender.  It worked fine for years, but for several months my phone connects to what appears to be a neighbor's LTE extender: my phone displays both the house (connected to extender), and the 4g indicators, my signal strength is one or two bars.  This while I'm ten feet from my own 3g extender. If I move to my basement, completely out of range of the 4g extender, my phone then connects to my 3g extender.  It would appear Verizon simply has to adjust my handset to let go a 1 bar LTE when there is a stronger 3g connection available. I opened a service ticket in November 2015; sent a dozen screen shots and photos to the tech documenting the problem; but since when I try to follow up by responding to the tech's SMS, my queries are ignored.  I've not yet chosen to waste an other hour on the phone jumping through hoops (unplug, reset, wait, repeat) to reopen the incident.  If I can identify the neighbor with the LTE extender, I'll ask them about it.  Meanwhile, if someone here has news of such a device, I'd like to hear about it.

0 Likes
smith6612

Correct. For those very far out, directional antennas (Yagis) can be used on a higher point to get a signal. Even if very faint, some of these units are high power, high gain, and should have a much better time hearing a tower versus a phone's tiny antennas/radios.

0 Likes