Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jetpack is useless
gpl2000

My Jetpack gets consistently horrible LTE connectivity. It's practically useless all over the city and I live in San Francisco which should be covered. This is the second device I've had so I'm sure it isn't the hardware. Any advice on other companies with good LTE data networks?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Jetpack is useless
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> I have line of sight with 4 cell towers.

Its very unlikely that you have LOS with 4 VZW towers or 4 towers that VZW has roaming rights too.  You can check out tower locator tools such as http://www.cellreception.com/  and http://www.antennasearch.com/ to learn more about who may own those towers along with the service they provide.  Cross reference that info with VZWs coverage map to get an idea on what is going on in that location: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/4g-lte/

> We tried my friends identical device here with the same results so it's not the Jetpac.

Testing with 2nd VZW devices is excellent feedback.  Same problem with two devices suggests a service problem in that area.  We can suggest further tests to help you confirm.  A test from another non identical VZW device would certainly seal the deal as a location problem.

> What take 5 minutes to do during the day takes 15 minutes to do at night. Your thoughts on that?

I'm curious what your reported speeds are while in this area.  For example if you navigate out to a speedtesting website such as www.speedtest.net.  Run the test a few times to build an average.  Then repeat the process after moving to a different location.  If you tested inside, then test outside.  If you tested in a neighborhood test the next neighborhood.  This process is known as a site survey.  It helps us visualize exactly how bad a performance problem is in a given area.  

Are your Jetpacks only connecting with 3G or with 4G LTE?  3G is rated between 1-3 Mbps where 4G LTE should be 5-12 Mbps.  A connection to the corresponding technology outside of those ranges is definitely something worth reporting and it helps us keep in check what kind of a problem you are having.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

gpl2000,

We want your service to be top notch! You're right SF should be covered. Let's take a closer look. What is your zip code? When did this start happening?

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> Any advice on other companies with good LTE data networks?

If you want advice about non-vzw networks then you should probably post questions someplace other than a VZW forum.  Unhappy customers who leave VZW to explore other networks are not likely going to be watching the VZW forums anymore.

I suggest something like www.dslreports.com.  They have a fairly active community on this subject.

>My Jetpack gets consistently horrible LTE connectivity.

If you would like assistance on your current VZW device then you would have to expand on what you mean by this statement.  Try recording some stats from your Jetpack on its signal strength or running a speedtest.net report.  A great test would be to perform what is called a "site survey".  Essentially you test your connectivity in multiple locations to help you determine if the poor performance is geographical to that location or an issue with the hardware.

gpl2000

A good example of the connectivity problems is the Ferry Building where many locals and tourists have lunch and use laptops in the main dining area. If I’m lucky I get a half a bar and speeds up to 1.72 Mbps download with sporadic disconnecting while in the middle of something (according to SpeedTest app today). Another example is Chestnut Street on the corner of Pierce, a major shopping and dining area, 1.31 Mbs (today), as well as other areas such as The Epicenter Cafe on Harrison and 3rd, less than 1 Mbs. When I complained about this poor connectivity before I was told that if I signed up for a new contract and new device that the problems should go away with the newer hardware. This was not the case and I have barely been able to use it for the last year. I expected much better performance on par with ATT. The device only works inside my apartment, which is precisely where I do not need it.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> Ferry Building... Chestnut Street on the corner of Pierce... The Epicenter Cafe on Harrison and 3rd

These all sound like densely populated areas.  You also suggest going to these locations around peak hours such as lunch and dinner time, not exactly ideal for performance testing.  Those areas may simply be overwhelmed with activity for the equipment that VZW has setup to handle it.

> If I’m lucky I get a half a bar and speeds up to 1.72 Mbps download with sporadic disconnecting while in the middle of something

This kind of speed suggests a 3G connection (1-3 Mbps), which is within the service level standards for that technology.  If your VZW device is reporting a 4G LTE connection in these areas then you have some leverage to contact VZW for warranty or replacement options.  4G LTE connections are rated between 5-12 Mbps.  Check you VZW device again for confirmation the next time you are in this area, it should indicate which network technology it is connected to at the time.

> When I complained about this poor connectivity before I was told that if I signed up for a new contract and new device that the problems should go away with the newer hardware.

That sounds like a great sales pitch.  Unfortunately getting new hardware does not help resolve performance problems that are geographically isolated like the ones you mentioned here.  If the network is poor or underperforming then all VZW devices will suffer from the same issues.  Now that you have two VZW devices in the same locations we have sort of confirmed this theory.  We can say this because your same VZW devices perform as expected in your home and I would assume other non densely populated areas too.

For example, I work in a basement.  No VZW service at all from the local towers.  Getting a new Jetpack or VZW device isn't going to help me.  We setup a Wilson voice/3G repeater to cover basic connections but that's about as good as its going to get for the investment we are willing to make.

> I expected much better performance on par with ATT.

ATT may have a better network in your area, simple as that.  VZW isn't #1 everywhere you go, but they should always be a top competitor.  Perhaps you have found a few situations where that is not the case.  ATT might have exclusive contracts for tower positioning and equipment that VZW does not have access to.

> The device only works inside my apartment, which is precisely where I do not need it.

This supports our theory that the performance problems are location specific and not related to your VZW hardware.

oldsarge67

Verizon stinks. My jetpack service started with three bars. Then it went down to two. Now it's down to one and it takes forever to connect. These clowns are lowering the power levels on their cell towers to save money at the expense of customer service and reliable internet and THEY DON'T CARE. They like to see customers spend extra time on the internet so they can hit you with their horrible overage charges. What a bunch of crooks

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> Verizon stinks.

Your opinion, fair enough.

> My jetpack service started with three bars. Then it went down to two. Now it's down to one and it takes forever to connect.

There are many possible explanations for this.  We would need more info to confirm.  First thought that comes to mind is a service problem in a particular area.  Next thought would be a temporary problem with the Jetpack.  Another thought would be natural interference or a changing in the environment interfering with your signal.

> These clowns are lowering the power levels on their cell towers to save money at the expense of customer service and reliable internet and THEY DON'T CARE.

Sources please.  This sounds like a personal theory rather than something that can be proven.

> They like to see customers spend extra time on the internet so they can hit you with their horrible overage charges.

Sources please.  Internet is not billed by a measurement of time.  Its billed according to the data (KB, MB, GB) you download from the VZW network.  Thus you could argue that having a slower connection would force/restrict users to consume less data than someone who is on a faster connection because its easier to consume data on a faster connection.  In fact we see much more evidence to support this argument since 4G LTE came online because data usage and how to manage it is the #1 complaint around here.

> What a bunch of crooks

If you are just looking to vent I suggest starting your own thread rather than piggy backing on someone else who is honestly looking for help.  Then other people can find your thread and offer their sympathies and support.  Try providing helpful feedback such as what you have tried to resolve the problem, measurements taken during troubleshooting or what your expectations are.

oldsarge67

John:

I have line of sight with 4 cell towers. We tried my friends

identical device here with the same results so it's not the Jetpac. When I

start it up I get 3 bars and it immediately drops to 2. From 9AM to 6PM I

get 2 and after that it drops to one. What take 5 minutes to do during the

day takes 15 minutes to do at night. Your thoughts on that?

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 8:51 AM, John Getzke <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> I have line of sight with 4 cell towers.

Its very unlikely that you have LOS with 4 VZW towers or 4 towers that VZW has roaming rights too.  You can check out tower locator tools such as http://www.cellreception.com/  and http://www.antennasearch.com/ to learn more about who may own those towers along with the service they provide.  Cross reference that info with VZWs coverage map to get an idea on what is going on in that location: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/4g-lte/

> We tried my friends identical device here with the same results so it's not the Jetpac.

Testing with 2nd VZW devices is excellent feedback.  Same problem with two devices suggests a service problem in that area.  We can suggest further tests to help you confirm.  A test from another non identical VZW device would certainly seal the deal as a location problem.

> What take 5 minutes to do during the day takes 15 minutes to do at night. Your thoughts on that?

I'm curious what your reported speeds are while in this area.  For example if you navigate out to a speedtesting website such as www.speedtest.net.  Run the test a few times to build an average.  Then repeat the process after moving to a different location.  If you tested inside, then test outside.  If you tested in a neighborhood test the next neighborhood.  This process is known as a site survey.  It helps us visualize exactly how bad a performance problem is in a given area.  

Are your Jetpacks only connecting with 3G or with 4G LTE?  3G is rated between 1-3 Mbps where 4G LTE should be 5-12 Mbps.  A connection to the corresponding technology outside of those ranges is definitely something worth reporting and it helps us keep in check what kind of a problem you are having.

oldsarge67

Right now it's 3:34 PM and The Jetpack reads 4G LTE Signal-113dBm

Sometimes (very seldom) it will only go to 3G then it beeps and goes to

Roaming at which time I immediately shut it off so as not to incur roaming

charges. Also on 3G it's horribly slow. Sometimes I have to turn it off and

on two or three times to get it back to 4G

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 3:14 PM, John Getzke <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes