Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBR95 using one gig per day.
cornhen

My router usage was 1 to 2 gig per day before the new MBR95Now it is using one gig per day.  The manual has firewall controls but the router does not.

What can I do?

My version is v5.0.4.  Is there a better version?

CornHen

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: MBR95 using one gig per day.
Not applicable

It's not hard with a computer attached. Doing updates can easily use a lot of data. Heck my PC just idling uses more than 1 GB a month. Also yes some sites load video. you could use the mobile version of those sites to save bandwidth. Or perhaps subscribe to rss feeds if they have them.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7e18n1

Your router is not using the data. The network devices connected to the yellow Ethernet ports and to the Wi-Fi radio is what is using the data. Which Verizon modem is plugged into the USB port? It sounds to me like you need to increase your data plan to cover your usage if you’re using up to 2 GB a day. The current firmware version is 5.3.4.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm not sure how people think routers use data or how Verizon mysteriously adds data. People have no clue as to how many times their devices that are connected to their router ping the internet even when they aren't using it but instead of learning about the tech they use they rather say their router is defective to the evil company is doing something wrong.

0 Likes
Re: Re: MBR95 using one gig per day.
7e18n1

None of my equipment connected to my router “ping the internet.” Perhaps you mean arping? ARP packets are within a network and do cross routers, but networks separated by a router have their own ARP traffic. This traffic is measured in kilobytes a day and is otherwise negligible compared to gigabytes.

0 Likes
7e18n1

That should read "and do not cross routers"

0 Likes
cornhen

Correction:  WE were using 1 to 2 gig PER MONTH and now is 10 or 12 gig per month.

The connection to Verizon is Pantech UML295.  [Before we had UML195 and MBR1000.]

0 Likes
Not applicable

10-12 GB per month is not a lot especially if that's you're only way to connect to the internet. heck back in Jan and February we averaged 20 GB per DAY. So far this month we've used 150 GB with 2 days to go and this is low month for us.

0 Likes
7e18n1

Thanks for the modem information. People with those might be interested in knowing they work with the Cradlepoint MBR95 and this is the kind of thing that a search will pick up.

1 GB a month is 34 MB a day, that’s pretty tough to do. You can eat that up from a couple websites with video ads. 10 GB/mo (341 MB/day) and 12 GB/mo (409 MB/day) is more realistic and pretty much the minimum for a private network with multiple network devices and multiple users sharing the data plan.

0 Likes
cornhen

Thank you all.  I see that the Modem is the contact to Verizon.  [My MBR95 needs to go from version v5.0.4 up to 5.3.4 but otherwise it is OK.] We are examining our use with our two lap tops but it is hard to understand going from 2 gig per month up to 12 gig last period.

When things like news sites load is all the video available, we do not choose, loaded also?

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Did you go from 3G to LTE? That would make a big difference.

0 Likes