Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MIFI Problems
Diphda

My MIFI is unsatisfactory.

It disconnects from the outside world yet reports as being connected to household devices.

The only warnig is that webpages will not load. then it has to be rebooted, which it never seems to do consistently.

Less than a mile from a Verizon tower yet my signal is weak.

Is there a more sensitive and reliable receiver available

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Re: MIFI Problems
7e18n1

Battery operated Mifi devices are not designed to be continuously used and when they are they will fail and they will require attention.    

Perhaps one of these devices might be more to your liking:

4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice

LTE Internet (Installed)

You might also like one of the embedded modem M2M, Pepwave or Craddlepoint devices from the 3Gstore.com.

View solution in original post

Re: MIFI Problems
7e18n1

Which MIFI device?  Customer Service (800) 922-0204 will walk you through a list of things to do that include, turning the device off, removing the battery and SIM Card, and reinstalling the battery and SIM Card to reseat both. If the issue is still unresolved, the next step is to reset the device which is discussed in the user manual. If you tell us which device it is we can better assist. 

Re: MIFI Problems
Diphda

This was a problem with My previous WI FI Device as well. I do not have the number for this one but  I believe it is a systemic problem with MIFI. I have asked my wife for the number.

If I have to go through a list of things to do, in order to reset it,and I have to do this several times a day, then the device is unstisfactory. It has been erratic since day one.

For example when the battery is charged it throws a message saying the battery is charged, please disconnect the charger. When this happens it no longer transfers data and generally must be restarted. Restarting does not seem to follow any pattern. Sometimes unplugging the charger is enough. Sometimes touching the menu or power button will wake it up. Sometimes I hold the poewer button down util it power off, wait a few seconds and then reboot.

Then it will be fine, more or less until the battery discharges and you have to plug it in and go through the drill again.

Other times it will go off line (to verizon) yet it reports to devices as "Connected to MIFI"  there is no indicator that MIF  is no longer transferring data. It is as if your car had a light that says ignition on, when the engine has failed.

When it works, it works fine, but I do not want to have to fiddle with it every day or week, or several times a day. It is simply unsatisfactory, and what I want to know is if there is a better device available.

I live in a remote area, although I am less than a mile from a verizon tower. My signal strength is low which may contribute to the disconnection issue, but still, it ought to be possible to restart it with one step and not have to try different things.

I fault the county for some of this, with their silly height restrictions on the towers, but this device and the one before it are simply not reliable.

0 Likes
7e18n1

Battery operated Mifi devices are not designed to be continuously used and when they are they will fail and they will require attention.    

Perhaps one of these devices might be more to your liking:

4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice

LTE Internet (Installed)

You might also like one of the embedded modem M2M, Pepwave or Craddlepoint devices from the 3Gstore.com.

Diphda

Thanks I will check them out.

The salesman knew what our needs were, why did he sell us the MIFI? Twice.

0 Likes
7e18n1

You're welcome and I have no idea why he did.

John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

We like to assume the best when referring to a given sales reps tactics.  In most cases they are making the best call that they can with the information they have been given.  Sales reps are there to sell devices, they are not technicians and don't have to support or get involved with the pitfalls of their suggestions.  You could go talk to another sales rep or another store and get a completely different pitch, that's sales in a nutshell.

Its a buyer beware situation, the Jetpack could have worked out well for you, but it turns out it didn't.  If you were to power down your Jetpack on a regular basis when its not needed it might be alright to use.  However, As 7e18n1 suggested there are better alternatives to Jetpacks for always on primary home internet connections.  The key reason being the hardware restrictions of running a Jetpack.