Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiFi6620L poor performance
ahepburn51

Back in October I purchased a MiFi6620L to replace a MiFi4620LE that I got through a company called millenicom, which was a Verizon reseller - the 4620 has the Verizon logo on it, and connected to Verizon towers. I am VERY unhappy with the comparative performance of the two devices. With the 4620 I placed it on a shelf in my living room and it received a strong 5 bars of 4G signal. We have 2 laptops - one is 18 feet away and the other is 22 feet away, through an interior wall. Both laptops received a sold 5 bars of wifi signal from the 4620.

Then we got the 6620 - placed it on the same shelf and we feel fortunate if we get 3 bars of 4G signal. With the laptops in the same positions they receive a weak 2 bars of wifi signal. We have had the 6620 replaced once under warranty and the new one performs the same. It's very frustrating because with such a poor signal data has to be resent many times before error-free data results - that eats up our data allotment.

Does anybody know why the 6620 is such a poor performer compared to the 4620? They both talk to the same Verizon tower so the incoming 4G signal SHOULD be the same for both. I can see the wifi signal being different if the 6620 uses different hardware, but it should STILL give a decent wifi signal within 25 feet of the device. I'm about ready to try and get my money back on it and have the old 4620 reactivated.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi6620L poor performance
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

The MiFi 6620L operates in both 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz for WiFi.  I would assume that if you are getting poorer performance at 20 feet that your Jetpack is operating on 5.0 Ghz instead of 2.4.  5.0 Ghz is well known to have a shorter distance and perform worse (at max distance) than the lower frequency 2.4 Ghz technology.  To get the performance of WiFi back up you can simply switch the device back to 2.4 Ghz.

Regarding the 4G LTE signal strength I don't have any explanations prepared.  You are right that the 4G signal should be comparable between the two device models.  There are no specs posted on the VZW antennas for either of these devices so all we can do is make observations and record performance.  Perhaps someone has the hardware differences documented somewhere is greater detail.  If for some reason the 6620L is manufactured with different equipment that performs worse than the 4620 in your environment then you would have to supplement that performance with external boosters and antennas.

To see if a better antenna would help with the 4G LTE signal:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

More information:

http://www.novatelwireless.com/files/1213/5250/8876/mifi_4620l_vzw_datasheet.pdf

http://www.novatelwireless.com/files/5014/1453/7088/MiFi_6620_NVTL_Datasheet.pdf

0 Likes
Greyfeathers

I have the same device and WAS extremely satisfied with the signal strength up until this week.  Almost a week ago, my signal strength dropped from over 500 to less than 200 going up sometimes to 300.  I don't know what happened that started the problem but I've done every diagnostic thing I could possibly come up with, from windows 7 to the adapter and the everything in between. I've reset, rebooted..nothing has resolved the signal problem.  I've moved the device to all areas within 500 feet.  I'm using the lap top at the moment and know it's not the lap top that's the issue.  It all goes back to the hotspot device.  It's almost as though the closest tower has changed somehow.  For the longest time, Verizon reps would tell us that they don't change how the tower is aimed.  We did prove that they DO change the direction at times to more populated areas and we're not very populated here.  But, that doesn't explain why the sudden change in the signal.  I now cannot open two websites at the same time.  This is using a 2 TB hard drive and 2TB RAM, windows 7. 64-bit operating system.  Really tees me off that i'm paying a premium price for a substandard product at the moment.  Will there be any kind of fix or now am I stuck with paying near 300.00 per month for something that no longer works.  😕

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to see you back at top speed, greyfeathers! Does this primarily happen in your home or in multiple locations? Does the performance vary during different times of day? Does the device consistently show a 4G LTE signal?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
ahepburn51

Thanks, John - I just checked the settings on my 6620 and it's set for 2.4GHz, and the Network Technology is set to Global. It appears Verizon probably went cheap on the chipsets in these things so they could get more profit margin.

0 Likes
marlies2n

Mine is doing the same thing.  and I am 2ft from my unit.  Slow to load, error messages etc.  Now I think I know why instead of 3 total GB usage in 30 days, with this new unit I am up to almost 5 GB in 3 wks. I called Verizon and they gave me every reason they could think of and bottom line was it was my fault!!!

I am having to go to my daughters house and use her unlimited wifi.  She is with a dish company in Chico, Ca. which cost $50 per month.  5 people use it, they stream video threw Netflicks, etc.

Same as I pay and I can't even watch a couple YouTube videos.

I asked Verizon if I could shut off the new unit and reactivate older Jetpack and still honor our 2yr contract, they said no!

I have 23 more months to go and then I will call satellite company and have unlimited usage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

marlies2n,

I am truly sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your Jetpack. We do not want to see you go. Allow us to research this further. What zipcode are you in? Do you notice slow speeds with accessing all webpages or just some? Do you have a cellular device also? If so, do you notice issues with data on your cellphone while in your home?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes