Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
My Saga with 4G LTE Router - restocking fee when it does do what was promised.
davewhirlwind

One week ago today, I had a chat session with a Verizon representative on whether there 4G LTE router would have publicly viewable IP address. I would like to use this plan $20.00 month to maintain communication with my webcam, security system and thermostat at a house that will not be occupied for the next 5 months. 

CHAT 1:

In the Chat the Representative told me several times that I would be able to get a Static IP address, for free and it would work just fine.  To be honest I as a little surprised they were offering a  static IP but ok.

here is some of the text of the chat.

Jordain: I would be more than happy to help you today with the 4G LTE. That is an excellent question, let me do a little bit of research for you and see if I am able to get your question clarified for you.

dave: Ok

Jordain: Thank you so much for your patience, I am still looking into the real IP address for your webcam for you.

Jordain: Since you do have a router, you should be able to go into the setting of the webcam to view the IP address.

dave: There is one review in the reivew section that says the IP is a private Verizon one not a real web viewable.

dave: It's the reverse problme

dave: I kinow the web cam will have a local IP that is my network

Jordain: I am seeing that we would be able to add a static IP address to your 4G router.

dave: don't need a static one plenty of ways to handle that just need to have one I can get to.

Jordain: I certainly understand where you are coming from. On my end, the only option that I have available is to add the static IP address. I would be more than happy to provide you with the number to contact our Technical Support team and see if they are able to give you any more information regarding the IP address.

Jordain: I have not heard from you for a few moments.  Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?

dave: Sorry wife got home

dave: Number would be good.

dave: How much is the static IP

Jordain: No worries, not a problem. There is no charge for a static IP address.

dave: really

Jordain: That is correct, really.

Well that seems like good news. Of I go to make the phone call to order it.  During this call I specifically tell the rep about my previous chat and my intention to return the  product if for some reason that was not true.  The person taking the order notes that fact in my order.

Flash to Wed.  Fedex arrives. Thursday morning I unpack the unit and plug it in. Nice product in general work great for surfing the web, but when I locate the IP address setting I discover it is an address in the Private Verizon Network, and can't be accessed via the web.

CHAT 2:

Disappointed, I log in and start another customer service chat.  After finally getting the person to read the transcript of CHAT 1 she checks something and finds that this is only true if I was a Business Customer(I am not).  I say but that not what I was promised....   She has no answer.  I ask who I should talk to next. and she tells me someone will call me to discuss and asks what times I was available.  I responded, for several hours Thursday afternoon and all day Friday.

Guess what,  Never heard a thing.

Now hear we are at Monday.

PHONE CALL 1:

This time I decided to call.

This morning about 9AM I get someone who starts out very helpful and basically determines that CHAT 1 guy was wrong unless I happen to be a bushiness customer and already had my own fixed IP address I could use.  I do happen to have a business that I could transfer the account to but who has an extra static IP lying around that isn't already being used( I have a couple but they point to web servers I manage).  The only solution is a one time set up fee of $500.00 for Verizon to supply a static IP address. Obviously a deal breaker. 

We get to the point that I will be returning the router.  I ask about the restocking fee and he tells me it is non-negotiable.  I go thru my story 3 more times and finally he offers to cut it in half from $35.00 to $17.50.  and that they can only waive the fee if the unit is returned within three days.

I then point out that I would have returned it Friday had some one from  Verizon called me back when they said they would in Chat 2.

I then asked him how I could escalate this issue and he said there is no escalation process and his offer was not acceptable..

My next steps, I think

1)  Drop the product off at the local verizon store with a copy of this story. (damned if I am paying any shipping)

2)  Dispute the credit card charge thru my credit card company when it comes thru.

Anybody out there have and other good ideas??

Dave

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Saga with 4G LTE Router - restocking fee when it does do what was promised.
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> In the Chat the Representative told me several times that I would be able to get a Static IP address, for free and it would work just fine.

Nope, the only device that is known to come with a free public/static IP address is HomeFusion recently rebranded to LTE Internet Installed.  Everything else from VZW as a home broadband device sits behind the NAT.  This is well documented and known about on the forums since the 4G LTE network went live many years ago.

>The only solution is a one time set up fee of $500.00 for Verizon to supply a static IP address. Obviously a deal breaker.

Yup, that's all VZW can do to help you in that situation.

> and that they can only waive the fee if the unit is returned within three days.

They are getting more stingy on the restocking fee.  It used to be a full business week.

>1)  Drop the product off at the local verizon store with a copy of this story. (****** if I am paying any shipping)

2)  Dispute the credit card charge thru my credit card company when it comes thru.

IANAL - You are taking on unnecessary risk with little reward here.  You would be unwise to think that VZW is not well versed in going after people who threaten to not pay their legally obligated and well worded fees.  VZW will call you into collections and go after your credit score before you have a chance to defend yourself in court or with your credit card company.  By the time you get it all settled and squared away you will have wasted much more than $17.50 in time and effort.

IMO is not worth it.  Deliver VZW a jar full of pennies frozen in ice for the full amount, write your review and move on with life.