Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Mystery High Usage At Once on Jetpack
DanielEustace

I checked my Verizon Jetpack's usage just now and it's at 36 of 50GB after only a week into the current cycle and knew there was no way this much data could have been used in such a short time. No big downloads were done, no big streaming like Netflix is done, no gaming is done, nothing like that.

I checked the usage online and I saw there was a big usage (15+GB) at 5am this morning when no computers were on or anyone would be up. And that's a larger data usage at once anyway, but there is no way it could have been done. I could see that have been the usage up to that point in the cycle (and that would even be high so I am doubting that a bit), and it seems like it added again. What caused could have caused this phantom data usage and what can be done to correct what seems to be an error here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mystery High Usage At Once on Jetpack
DanielEustace
02/26/20155:44 AM15.93174
02/25/201511:44 PM0.06008

By the way, here is the usage from that time and the time that was logged right before

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

>What caused could have caused this phantom data usage

I would highly suspect automatic updates.  You must note that the timestamps on the VZW reports mark the END of a data session, not the BEGINNING.  That means that your Jetpack had consumed that amount of data up until that time so you need to evaluate what could have happened before 5:44 AM, not after it. 

>and what can be done to correct what seems to be an error here?

Considering your timestamps are exactly 6 hours apart I would assume your Jetpack is left online 24x7. That means you should start building a  habit of powering off your Jetpack when it is not in use.  This will increase the effectiveness of the reporting that VZW offers by default.  If your Jetpack is powered on then anything can connect to it and start consuming data without your knowledge.

I would also look into setting  up data usage monitors on your personal machines.  A great tool for windows machines is Glasswire.  Each OS has something that works best and needs to be researched.  Smart phones tend to have apps that show data usage built in.

0 Likes
Moodygirl

I am very pissed off at Verizon that jetpack 20gb ripped me off. I found out that 93.67 of 20gb in only 10 days connecting with TV Dish including blockuster(free) and Netflix. I checked that the billing statement balanced over $2700 that almost give me heart attack. I took sm card off jetpack and return it back to Verizon. If finance department under Verizon refuse to credit money, I will file a complaint civil case against Verizon. I will use DSL Internet and wifi under Fronter few weeks.

I signed the agreement 10 days ago then their workers do not know about jetpack connecting TV that steal your $$$$$. We are thr victim of sicko jetpack stealing our money!!!  Verizon violated FCC code law and customer business law.

I have no problem with iPhone and iPad, but MiFi screwed up with TV data feeding our money. i believe that MiFi is very worst error usages!!!!!!  

Please file a complaint civil case against Verizon for jetpack then it must destroy!!!!

0 Likes
dilbertaz

Check computers (laptops specifically) with newer OS's such as Windows 8, they are often default set to power on at 3am and install updates, and will most likely go back to sleep after completed.  Check your windows update logs and see when and what updates were installed on the date in question.

0 Likes