Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ordering Verizon Devices on Amazon & Adding a Line
CM_Wells
Novice

Has anyone ever tried to order a device through Amazon and add a line? I recently wanted to get the Gear S on Amazon as it's cheaper than on Verizon. I'd have to do a 2 year contract which is not a problem, but every time I try to check out and input my information it doesn't work. It's a bit confusing because you have to include your phone number at the top, but it says "check eligibility of phone number" and I take that to mean the phone number the device is going onto, but the prior step is adding the item to the cart and selecting "add a line to an existing account." I've tried contacting Amazon about it, but they had no clue and I chatted with a few Verizon reps who also couldn't figure it out.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Ordering Verizon Devices on Amazon & Adding a Line
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Yes, it let me add it to my cart and I got to the page where I select a plan. I did not go further. It appears that if you are not able to get that far, it may be something to do with your account such as the newness of it as you had indicated. I did notice that I did not have an option to keep my existing data plan and the only options available were not the new Verizon plan options. Even if you were able to get it at Amazon, I would be leery of doing so until they update their checkout procedure to mirror Verizon's current available plans. Otherwise, you may be signing up for something which is simply not currently available and be forcibly placed in something else.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I wouldn't expect a Verizon rep to know anything about the Amazon check out procedure.

0 Likes
CM_Wells
Novice

It's not that I wanted them to know the procedure. I wanted them to check the information on my account which is why I contacted them. The error message I kept getting on Amazon said to contact Verizon. I also got one saying the information I had entered was incorrect and I am 100% sure it wasn't. So now I'm just seeing if any other civilians have ordered via Amazon.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

There are some things you can do at a 3rd party retailer and some things you can't do. With the message from Amazon that you should contact Verizon, it may be that you are not allowed to add a line thru Amazon for whatever reason.

0 Likes
CM_Wells
Novice

I was told it could be my current plan, it could be a 30 day probation period, it could be Amazon can't add a line, it could my account is too "new" - no one knew anything for certain.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

It doesn't really matter the reason, only that Amazon can't do it.

0 Likes
CM_Wells
Novice

Perhaps not to you, but I like to stay informed and know why things work and don't work.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Looking on Amazon at the item in question, I would guess the reason it won't work is Verizon recently moved away from 2 yr service contracts in favor of paying full price up front OR on the Device Payment Plan. The only way to get a 2 yr service contract on Verizon is to ask for it at a Verizon store. It is likely Amazon has not updated their checkout procedure since this change took effect on August 13.

0 Likes
CM_Wells
Novice

I did consider that, but on Verizon's website the only way to get the Gear S is to do a 2 year contract or no contract. I had inquired before about a DPP for the Gear S and that wasn't an option. It seems they are still offering 2 year contracts with add on devices like the Gear S and tablets. Though Amazon's system still may be behind from the plan changes etc.

Thanks for taking a peek at it though. Did you happen to run through the form to check your eligibility? It's the step that follows adding it to your cart under "add to existing account." That's the bit I can't get past.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Yes, it let me add it to my cart and I got to the page where I select a plan. I did not go further. It appears that if you are not able to get that far, it may be something to do with your account such as the newness of it as you had indicated. I did notice that I did not have an option to keep my existing data plan and the only options available were not the new Verizon plan options. Even if you were able to get it at Amazon, I would be leery of doing so until they update their checkout procedure to mirror Verizon's current available plans. Otherwise, you may be signing up for something which is simply not currently available and be forcibly placed in something else.

0 Likes