Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Port Forwarding - Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router
jamed32578

Trying to get external connection by Port Forwarding - Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router, desired ports are set open, but can not be accessed from outside the network.  In fact NO ports that have been opened in the router can be seen from outside.  Yes, I am using the currently assigned Verizon IP address, no, it is not static (who wants to pay $500 for a static IP address???)

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Port Forwarding - Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> Yes, I am using the currently assigned Verizon IP address, no, it is not static

Too bad for you then.  Normal broadband VZW IP addresses sit behind a NAT firewall.  The NAT firewall will block any custom port forwarding settings that you configure to your personal devices. Thus the port forwarding settings are only effective if you happen to have a non NAT firewalled IP address. 

To enable port forwarding you need to use one of the following solutions:

1. Purchase a static IP or a device that automatically provides one (HomeFusion)

2. Setup a VPN connection to a VPN server that allows custom port forwarding

3. Terminate an go with a different service provider that allows port forwarding

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

> Yes, I am using the currently assigned Verizon IP address, no, it is not static

Too bad for you then.  Normal broadband VZW IP addresses sit behind a NAT firewall.  The NAT firewall will block any custom port forwarding settings that you configure to your personal devices. Thus the port forwarding settings are only effective if you happen to have a non NAT firewalled IP address. 

To enable port forwarding you need to use one of the following solutions:

1. Purchase a static IP or a device that automatically provides one (HomeFusion)

2. Setup a VPN connection to a VPN server that allows custom port forwarding

3. Terminate an go with a different service provider that allows port forwarding

0 Likes
jamed32578

I don’t believe NAT is completely the bad guy her, the bad guy is Verizon wanting to suck another $500 charge for a static IP address. That simple.

0 Likes
Jim8080

I also tried unsuccessfully about a year ago, and don't have a good solution.

Here's a warning: I fiddled for about a half hour and gave up.  Later, I received a warning I had used almost all my remaining time.  I use the JetPack primarily when on trips, so don't have a contract and was preparing to have my service suspended, so the loss was not a big problem.  I suggest checking your usage frequently while experimenting to be on the safe side.

Jim

0 Likes