Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Registering a Weboost RV 65 cell amplifier
Renewables

We are full-time RVers and Camp Hosts, but cannot believe we are the only ones with this issue. We Camp Hosted at O'Haver Lake Campground in Colorado in 2013 when only 3G was available and before cell amp registration was necessary. The Wilson 3G amp we used was two-band with 45 db or less gain and performance was subpar with various Omni & bidirectional amplifiers with the antennas at 30'.  We are Camp Hosting there again in 2021, this time with the RV 65 amplifier and high-gain yagi directional antenna on a 25' mast. This amplifier boasts 65 dB gain max which we felt a better choice than mobile versions with Omni gain antennas given our previous history there. This amp cannot be registered mobile as the gain/antenna combo has to be registered as a fixed installation. We figure it wasn't a problem due to the nature of our campground's location, however ... when we went to register the fixed service the fields for recording the address only recognize valid addresses within the post office database, anything else is invalid. We can locate our GPS coordinates down to millimeters thanks to very useful websites, but "County Road 202, Salida, CO 81201" is not a valid address according to the Verizon registration webpage. I called *611 and talked to a dozen folks from their India tech support that wanted to "help me register my TV for streaming" until finally, I got a Tech Coach to call me back. When I gave them the exact precise GPS coordinates they also ran into the address issue once their software converted into the same address. The most puzzling thing is that they seemed to have no recourse or second level of support to authorize a system override so the precise GPS coordinates could be used to satisfy the FCC requirements for this fixed service. We can understand if you are using this service at home how it may have an address in the USPS database, however, there are many exceptions to this also, including our formal home address an hour south of there where there was not USPS mail delivery and everyone in town had a PO Box. In desperation, the Verizon contracted Tech Coach registered us at the USFS office in a town nearby since that was a legal address, but in our viewpoint that defeats the whole purpose of using bonafide GPS coordination such that the FCC could precisely verify and remedy any interference issues on specific towers and specific bands, etc. Using a physical address up to 20 miles away just because it is a legal USPS address since silly and useless and does not follow the spirit of registering a fixed address that would actually be used. If any old valid address was good then we'd use our mail forwarding address at Americas Mailbox in South Dakota. Our biggest frustration is that there seems to be no one at Verizon to talk with that could straighten out the mess created. There are hundreds, if not thousands of camp hosts located in remote USFS campgrounds across North America and many of them are located on dirt Forest Service roads that have valid GPS locations, but not simple canned addresses located in the USPS database. Many of these camp hosts are stationary for 30-180 days or more and need to be recognized as needing telecommunications without having to cheat by using whatever address satisfy's the database without satisfying the FCC rules compliance. To use it is a no-brainer solution, but to the big corporate dinosaurs who put people in canned boxes, it is time to fix this issue before it causes people to appear to be non-compliant when they actually can't be compliant due to a simple error in how the registration process works. Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue??? Thank you, Dave

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Registering a Weboost RV 65 cell amplifier
Renewables

No, it is just like folks that park in the desert, places that need a cell amp won't have a 911 address typically. Places that do have a 911 address won't need the cell amp 99% if the time. I guess that is the answer, use the Mail Forwarding address where full-timer insurance is listed as the "Garage address" and to heck with the FCC who would love to know where people are actually using cell amps, but no longer can due to the red tape. Crazy.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Does the campground have a 911 address?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Renewables

No, it is just like folks that park in the desert, places that need a cell amp won't have a 911 address typically. Places that do have a 911 address won't need the cell amp 99% if the time. I guess that is the answer, use the Mail Forwarding address where full-timer insurance is listed as the "Garage address" and to heck with the FCC who would love to know where people are actually using cell amps, but no longer can due to the red tape. Crazy.

0 Likes
Kicoman

We ran into the same problem with a new permanent address that has been getting mail for a year. 

I fortunately will not pursue this issue as it's their fault, and if my system is causing issues they can old school directional find me.

I don't waste my time on their issues anymore 

0 Likes