Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
TCL 10 5G UW Notifications Don't Work Correctly
jaredfaivre

Anyone else having notification problems with the TCL 10 5G UW? Calls and texts work, but notifications for any of the installed apps mostly do not work. I have already combed through the entire phone and turned off everything I could in the smart manager and anything related to power management. I also ensured that android is set to show notifications. However, notifications do not work reliably if at all. 

For example, I have motion sensing security cameras that should add a notification to the drop down any time motion is detected. This functionality works on all of my other Android devices. Not on this one! Most of the time, it doesn't work at all. Once in a while, it will decide to work for a few hours, then stops working again. 

Other apps such as those for my bank, retailers, etc that would provide account updates and shipping notifications do not work at all. 

Occasionally, if I restart the phone, notifications seems to start working for a few hours and then stop. Also, notifications for Gmail do not work AT ALL. 

I have a ticket open with TCL, we've been going back and forth for a week and no progress is being made. I'm becoming intensely frustrated with this situation. This "communications device" is absolutely useless if I don't receive notifications when people/vendors are attempting to contact me. The problems have been happening since I bought the phone, but always thought it was a configuration problem. I've tried everything under the sun to get notifications to work correctly on this device and they simply DO NOT WORK. I strongly suspect that the TCL "Smart Manager" power saving app is the culprit, but there is no way to remove or disable this "feature."

I'm hesitant to call in to the phone support because the experience I had when attempting to purchase this phone was a complete and total nightmare where I ended up spending 20+ hours on the phone with various people/Executive Relations which culminated in a threat from Verizon's General Counsel to Terminate my service if I continued contacting Verizon despite the fact that Verizon never actually addressed my simple billing issues. Verizon also still has not responded to the FCC as required by law. 

0 Likes
Re: TCL 10 5G UW Notifications Don't Work Correctly
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to have a working device. Was the manufacture able to determine if this is a known issue? Or if a replacement under the manufacture warranty is able to be done?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
jaredfaivre

Unknown at this time. I strongly doubt that this is an actual physical device problem and do not want someone else's used phone as a replacement, either. TCL wants me to clear the cache partition on the device, but it appears that Verizon has instructed TCL to lock out this feature in the bootloader. 

The "Smart Manager" feature built into this phone appears to kill long running apps in the background. This means that all of background services for push notifications for the various apps get killed off and notifications stop coming through. There is a menu to disable this function for each app. However, this does not appear to work. I have enabled auto-start for every single app, disabled power saving modes, and intelligent power saving, disabled background clear in the memory manager, and ensured that none of the applications are on the blocked notifications list. After a restart or manually opening an app the notifications will work for a few hours, then they stop working again. If I use a process manager to check the processes running on the device, none of the background services of the affected apps are running. Also, no matter what I do gmail notifications NEVER work. The only notifications that do work consistently are phone calls and SMS. 

My prior device, the Verizon branded Moto G6 Play, does not exhibit these issues when all of the power saving settings are turned off. I also own a Samsung tablet with the same apps on it and notifications also work as expected, there. 

0 Likes
jaredfaivre

So, TCL is telling me to wipe the phone. No actual troubleshooting done. I'm not going to wipe the phone every time their smart manager software malfunctions.

What is Verizon's return policy on this device?

How do I receive a full refund when I purchased this phone with gift cards?

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Saw this posted else where about that phone and problem if you haven't tried it.

"I've had this issue and resolved it through enabling auto-start on all apps within battery management."

0 Likes
jaredfaivre

Thanks. I did try that but no dice. The phone still seems to kill some of the background apps regardless of the settings of those switches. 

I will probably end up doing a full wipe just to be sure but I need to find time to set aside to setup 80+ apps from scratch again. Somehow, I doubt wiping out the phone will fix the issue since these notifications haven't worked correctly since I took the phone out of the box.

I've had similar issues on my other devices but disabling all the power saving stuff has always corrected the problem.

In my opinion, Verizon needs to push Alcatel (TCL) to investigate and correct this software issue. For $400 the notifications should work like they do on any other device.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Ok sorry it didn't work.  The phone maker should acknowledge and fix it.   Have you tried Android central to see if there is a forum of other users for this specific phone?  I have gotten good help there for all my cell phones over the years.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to receive all of your notifications. We definitely want to find a solution for you ASAP! We will be sending you a Private Note, so we can further assist you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We definitely want to make sure that your device is working properly at all times, and we are here to help. We contacted you via a Private Note to continue assisting you.
GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
cauf

I had the same issue. I was able to fix it by going into settings -> smart manager. in the "smart manager" click "auto-start". Here you can "turn on" the apps to automatically start (this will allow notifications) or turn on "all automatically manage"

0 Likes