Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UML295 causing windows explorer crashes on Windows 10
skols

Hi,

I'm trying to setup my parent's new computer. It's an ASUS Desktop PC M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31 CD Series with an Intel i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and Windows 10 Home. They have an UML295 for internet because they can't get high speed where they live (in the country and really the middle of nowhere). The issue is when I plug in the UML295 to a USB port and the connection light turns green. As soon as it turns, windows explorer crashes. I least think that's what is happening. The screen flickers and then everything is gone. Nothing appears on the desktop and I can't start File Explorer. It'll show in the taskbar, and if I move the mouse over it, it shows something, but it never enlarges. I can restart the computer, but if I shut down and turn it back on, it's still crashed with everything screwed up. It only works with a restart. Luckily my nephew has a JetPack so I can connect, but even then, the Verizon community page didn't work right using Edge. It didn't completely crash, but the screen flashed several times when I was signing in and it looked like the Edge had moved down to almost the bottom of the screen. I was able to close it by hitting the Windows button on the keyboard and right-clicking on Edge to close it. I'm using Chrome and it has no issues. The reason I was using Edge was because my mom always used IE, no matter what I told her, so I want to make sure that works. I haven't tried many other pages with Edge, but what I have tried has worked okay.

Does anybody have any idea as to what could cause this and/or how to fix it? I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: UML295 causing windows explorer crashes on Windows 10
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for reaching out for assistance! I would certainly be concerned if connect my USB Modem would cause Explorer.exe to crash. Let's see if we can get this properly working so your parents can enjoy their new computer. I don't see any compatibility issues with the UML295 and Windows 10 so I would like to take a closer look at the desktop to see if this might be the cause. Have you been able to test the UML295 on another device to see if the same issue occurs? If you update the drivers and OS on the new computer, does it still have the same issues when you plug in the UML295?

HarleyE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
skols

Thanks for your response. The UML295 works fine on their old computer. My mom is actually using that now with the UML295. 🙂 As for drivers and OS, as far as I can tell everything is up to date. I updated it where I live because I have high speed Internet and wanted it to be as ready as it could be before setting up at their house.

0 Likes
skols

I figured out what's happening but not how to fix it. It isn't Explorer.exe that's crashing. What's happening is an extended desktop is being created that's digital (the monitor) and virtual or just virtual. If it's just virtual, the monitor goes to sleep and I can't do anything except hold the power button to power it down. If it's both, that's when it shows a desktop with no icons. I figured that out by starting something and part of it showing up. If it's both, then I can make it digital only, which is the monitor. I was able to use then without issues until I closed Edge, then it flashed and switched to extended desktop again. I forgot to mention I was using a VGA cable for this. Now I'm using an HDMI and it seems to be working okay as long as I don't use Edge.

0 Likes