Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Used 25GB in one month mifi 2 computers one IPhone no movies no music
sunrise53

Used 25 GB in one month! MIFI 4g 1 computer, 1 tablet, 1 IPhone 4 no movies, no music. Computer use browsing web. Young adult using phone and tablet. Six months ago used 6-8 GB monthly just keeps going up. Just upgraded to newer mifi 1 week ago still using 1 GB daily with the new jetpack. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Used 25GB in one month mifi 2 computers one IPhone no movies no music
MiiHere
Leader

Devices like computers, tablets and phones that are left on and connected will do things in the background. Computers will download updates, Tablets will update Apps, Phones will also. Tablets and Phones will continue to try and acquire the network continuously if it's having trouble.

While watching movies and videos does use up data quicker, if you're browsing pages with active advertisements; videos that start on their own, or play in the background without sound, they all use data. Same with Facebook, if the youngster has videos set to auto play etc.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

Do you leave all devices plugged in and turned on?

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

What kind of usage is happening on the tablet? On the other devices?  Can you guarantee that no one was streaming music or video on any of the three devices?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sunrise53

Yes all devices are on and plugged in.

0 Likes
sunrise53

The tablet is new last week, she has a lap top also She's very careful with the usage and definitely doesn't watch and movies. Our usage calculator shows most of the data is from the web- 65%, don't know how that can be. Only minimal 15% for social media, she does use FB all of the time for communication with friends.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

Devices like computers, tablets and phones that are left on and connected will do things in the background. Computers will download updates, Tablets will update Apps, Phones will also. Tablets and Phones will continue to try and acquire the network continuously if it's having trouble.

While watching movies and videos does use up data quicker, if you're browsing pages with active advertisements; videos that start on their own, or play in the background without sound, they all use data. Same with Facebook, if the youngster has videos set to auto play etc.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

You can set the computer to not automatically download updates and you can shut down apps running in the background of the tablet and phone and this should help. I'd also suggest unplugging or powering down the mifi at night when no one needs it.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Based on what you have said I would focus on Facebook and while she may not watch movies, any YouTube or video watch. Facebook by default starts loading and playing videos on the pages and can use up a lot of data without really doing anything. There are settings to stop the background loading.

0 Likes
sunrise53

Since 12 midnight 6/16 I've used 1.5 GB  The usage is from the mifi, my granddaughter uses her phone constantly and that usage is from the data plan .0955 from the total data used in 36 hours. I'v seen people on this site complain about using 2GB in 2 weeks really? I've got a big problem, I'll try shutting everything off at night.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

What does she do while on her phone?

0 Likes