Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Using VPN (IPSEK) over mifi (6620L)
laurieclark

I am trying to connect my laptop over mifi to IPSEK vpn at my office. It "connects" but no data is transferred. How can I fix this? Is there another jetpack that would work?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using VPN (IPSEK) over mifi (6620L)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

laurieclark,

We certainly want to help you get your device connected as soon as possible. Have you been able to use this device with this connection before? Does your Mifi work fine when accessing the internet in general?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
laurieclark

The jetpack works great without trying to log in to my company VPN. The

company VPN works great for me if I am using my home wifi.

I have never been able to use this combination. My company moved from the

(not very securie) VPN that comes with Windows to Shrew Soft VPN (IPsec)

and now I can't get my work done when I am traveling.

If some other jetpack would be better and support this (apparently) very

common VPN (IPsec) I'd appreciate confirmation of this.

By the way, it works fine if I use my personal hotspot on my iPhone7. The

problem is that I need to use the phone at the same time.

Thanks,

Laurie

[removed]

Personal information removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Bring this to the attention of your VPN administrator.  They should be able to provide you with a few alternative VPN connection profiles or configurations that can work around any limitations with the VZW network.  I'd bet they are aware of whatever the limitation is with your corporate network and can provide you with a solution.

We use primarily IPsec with our Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.  SSL works just fine too over VZW connections. However, I couldn't share with you specifically what those configuration changes are to get it to work as the VPN is not my area of ownership. 

0 Likes
laurieclark

No, they have already done the research. This is a known problem with

verizon jetpacks. We cannot use AnyConnect VPN client.

Laurie

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM John_Getzke <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Please elaborate on the known issue with Jetpacks and IPsec, I am not aware of anything.

The network that is provided from the Jetpack is the same 4G LTE network that other modems would provide from VZW.  The only difference is that the Jetpack uses WiFi to connect to the PC where as the others use USB or a built in connection.

Perhaps your PC has a conflict with the locally assigned IP address of the Jetpack.  Could you try enabling USB tethering and see if there is a difference?  This would rule out any compatibility issues with WiFi as well.  The VZW NAT firewall public IP that you are assigned should be similar to any other VZW device you would connect to.

Ask your VPN administrator to share the information they have learned from this scenario with us. Perhaps someone could be of further assistance.  It would be helpful to know specifically what about your new setup is not working.

It also seems like the problem only started when you migrated from the Windows VPN client to the new one.  We can assume you were using the same VZW Jetpack before that problem occurred. That would further suggest the problem is a VPN client configuration issue and not something on VZWs end.

0 Likes
laurieclark

This is the article referenced by my technical team:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-64767/

Thanks,

Laurie

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM John_Getzke <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

laurieclark,

I appreciate these details & I'm glad that the jetpack works well when you don't have to log into your company's VPN. Let's keep working at this. I've done some research & found a step in the admin page that talks about the VPN Pass through mode section. Please click here for more information: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122709/ I would toggle it off/on.

What exactly happens when you are trying to connect to the VPN?

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Thanks for the confirmation on the article.

Its a little old considering it was posted in 2011 but I believe I understand what it is trying to say.  Some important context might be that around the launch of 4G folks had to get accustomed to the new NAT firewall. All sorts of devices and systems broke over 4G that has previously worked just fine.  The old 3G network provided public IP addresses to all machines which was somewhat feasible for VZW to manage at the time.  With the projected growth of 4G and internet devices in general VZW made the switch over to NAT to free up their public IP addresses for more specific purposes. A static/public IP from VZW is now valued at $500 each and is restricted for business accounts only.

I don't really think VZW is on the hook for anything in this situation.  They made a change to the entire 4G LTE network many years ago and was very public about it.  The rest of us have made the necessary configuration changes, as documented in the article, to allow our VPN clients to continue to function correctly.  Its not really a device specific configuration change that you can toggle on and off.

I would advise you press your technical contacts to reconsider the connection options they offer to you.  It seems silly that they linked an article to you with an explanation and solution but have not completed the necessary steps.  If they cannot figure it out then they should be contacting VZW to obtain the necessary configuration changes, not an end user like yourself.

Like I said, we have been using Cisco AnyConnect with IPsec and SSL since the launch of VZWs 4G LTE network with numerous devices (including the 6620 with default settings).  If your technical contacts/VPN administrators don't want to complete similar steps for their VPN server and the business want to you work remotely then the business will need to provide you with an alternative internet connection that does comply with their VPN requirements.

0 Likes
angelinemarie75

Laurie,

Were you ever able to use AnyConnect VPN client with the Verizon Jetpack? I need to connect my work laptop and be able to work from home. Satellite internet would not work for me so I am looking at the Jetpack as an option. 

Thank you,

Angel Clark

0 Likes